LSI RAID (DELL Perc 5i) SMART monitoring failed (mfip.ko module missing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultraschall

Cadet
Hi,

I have successfully installed my first new FreeNAS on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server with integrated Perc 5i RAID Controller.

When I start the SMART Service in the GUI I get this error message:

Code:
Oct 16 17:01:44 NAS-11 smartd[8775]: Configuration file /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf parsed but has no entries (like /dev/hda)
Oct 16 17:01:44 NAS-11 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd: WARNING: failed to start smartd
Oct 16 17:01:44 NAS-11 notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd: WARNING: failed to start smartd

Trying it from the console with smartctl -a /dev/mfid0 shows me this error:

Code:
[root@NAS-11 ~]# smartctl -a /dev/mfid0                                   
smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p4 amd64] (local build)     
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net      

/dev/mfid0: To monitor disks on LSI RAID load mfip.ko module and run 'smartctl -
a /dev/passX' to show SMART information                                         
Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option.                        

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary                                          

[root@NAS-11 ~]

can anyone please help me to fix this error? To be honesst I am not familar with FreeBSD :(

J

James

According to one of the kernel devs, mfip is the mfi passthrough driver, which exposes the devices behind the RAID controller to the OS. This warning occurs when you try to run smartctl directly against the device, which isn't necessary since the RAID controller monitors SMART already and marks drives as Predictive Failure when they trip. Running smartctl on these disks should not be necessary and in fact could cause Bad Problems if exposed disks are modified.

I'll update the docs with a note.

Status
Not open for further replies.