LSI Disk Controller for SAS using SuperMicro chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading a great article on this forum about LSI raid cards being set to jbod mode. Having said that I am wondering what LSI card would be the best for my SuperMicro hardware configuration?
I have:
4U chassis with nice motherboard: SYSSUP60474R Supermicro SSG-6047R-E1R24L 4U Dual LGA2011
Two nice processors: CPUINTX260VR Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5-2609V2 2.5GHz Ivy Bridge-E
128GB ECC RAM: MEMDDR316G3R D629R DDR3-1600 16GB ECC

I will be using 20 SAS 4TB drives and 6 SSD drives for Cache & Logs. (yes I have 26 drive bays)
My application is ESXi 5.5 and I will be supporting 3 or 4 VM Hosts that currently have 50 VMs running.

This is my first FreeNAS box as we have been using Open Filer on previous projects. I have been told to avoid RAID controllers with FreeNAS and in my mind I had always considered RAID Controllers and Disk Controllers one in the same and I guess I have learned something today.

If your budget were $500 or less what is the best LSI Disk Controller for SAS using SuperMicro chassis? If it were just a bit over $500 what would you recommend?

Thanks Team & as always keep up the good work.

You can simply pick up a M1015 and crossflash it to P16 if all you need is the controller. Do you know the backplane model number on the 4U chassis you have?

I decided on a new LSI 9211-8i SGL SAS 6Gb/second. I called SuperMicro tech support and they confirmed this would be a good choice for what I was doing. They also said the HD cable plugged into my motherboard would plug straight away into the LSI card and I confirmed I had enough disk-controller cable by pulling two of the three fans near the hard drives and I see a double fold of cable underneath. My new LSI card should be here this afternoon or tomorrow. I will have to use my desktop PC and flash the LSI disk controller to "IT" mode and I have already seen the updater on the LSI website so hopefully my new SAN goes into production mode next week.

The LSI 9211-8i SGL SAS 6Gb/second arrived and I did have to flash it to IT but I lost speed instead of picking up some speed. I am getting an error message WARNING: Firmware version 20 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps1

So now I am searching the forum for instructions on upgrading FreeNAS to LSI's firmware 20 or else instructions on downgrading my LSI card. Anyone try this and what was your experience?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, you need to flash your card to P16. There are lots of instructions on the web; somewhere in the thread on LSI controllers (in the hardware subforum) is one place.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And just to emphasize, the answer is a firmware downgrade, not a driver upgrade.

I did as jgreco recommended and I performed a 2 part downgrade of my LSI SAS 9211-8i with instructions provided by the ever helpful LSI folks. After the upgrade my new FreeNAS box got back to the speed I had without any Disk Controllers so something is helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.