LSI 9361-8i poor performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Hart

Dabbler
Probably not the right place to post but i need some help with hardware based raid. I want to build a FreeNAS box but don't feel comfortable yet with the OS. Any way, my current setup is using windows 7 and I'm experiencing very poor speeds with the LSI 9361-8i Raid card i have tried different setups and raid configurations but dont seem to be getting any where. Speed wise im getting around 70-80 MB/s if i use a HDD not conected to the LSI card i get about 120MB/s which i think is still a little slow but much better than the LSI.

Ive done some tests using crystaldiskmark but the results seem to be wildly inaccurate and fluctuate considerably

System hardware
Xeon E5-2620 v3
32GB DDR4 Ram
Supermicro X10SRi-F
LSI 9361-8i with Mini SAS HD to SATA breakout Cables

Hard Drives currently configured as follows
Hitachi Desktar NAS SATA 4TB x 6
3 x 2 drives in raid 0 set to write through

i do have a cache vault but that's currently not installed as im pretty sure i dont need it and dont think it will speed up the write performance

I know im kinda in the wrong place to ask but really need some help as im going to go crazy soon.

Thanks in advance

Robert Hart

Dabbler
Also, can anyone tell me what temp it should run at as mine is always running at around 70c with a very well cooled case with the rest of my kit running around the low 20c

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doesn't support IT mode and is SAS3 (in other words, still unstable). That controller is a poor choice for FreeNAS and ZFS.

And hardware RAID on top of ZFS? That's not going to end well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Probably not the right place to post but i need some help with hardware based raid.

Get rid of the hardware RAID first. Performance and reliability of your data and the zpool dictate to get rid of that first. We *know* hardware RAID is bad, there's warnings everywhere. If you can't take our advice with this very important aspect of your server, please don't ask for more help from us.

If you want to ignore our very important and valuable experience and there's no reason to ask for help if you are already ignoring us. :)

Ditch that card... ;)

rogerh

Guru
Get rid of the hardware RAID first. Performance and reliability of your data and the zpool dictate to get rid of that first. We *know* hardware RAID is bad, there's warnings everywhere. If you can't take our advice with this very important aspect of your server, please don't ask for more help from us.

If you want to ignore our very important and valuable experience and there's no reason to ask for help if you are already ignoring us. :)

Ditch that card... ;)

I think the OP wants advice on getting better results on Windows 7, and hasn't even thought about what hardware to use if he one day decides to try FreeNAS. More off-topic than necessarily unwise, yet!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So why is he even posting in this forum. This has absolutely nothing even closely resembling FreeNAS support then... LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.