LSI 9240-8i Dead in less that a week...New controller suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwtruett

Dabbler
I purchased 2 LSI 9240-8i controller cards from eBay about 5 weeks ago. After running in my system for less than a week I found the system powered off this morning. On boot no LSI BIOS screen and FreeNAS couldn't find the disks. I replaced the controller with the second one I purchased and everything is fine again.

I was running an Adaptec 6805 controller, but I wanted to run FreeNAS without loading a special driver. I replaced the 6805 with the 9240 without issue and I thought everything was good. When looking for a replacement controller I searched the web for IBM 1015 controller. It seems everyone and there brother are selling them and LSI controllers on eBay now. Also, they are listing the LSI controller as a IBM 1015 controller. The price for the controllers has risen quite a bit over the past months and now go for ~$120. The controllers I purchased look like the real thing to me. Contained documentation and markings say the board was manufactured in Thailand. The eBay vendor I purchased from has 100% positive feedback.

So, after all that does anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase the best 6GB SATA controller for a 8 disk FreeNAS box?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

ser_rhaegar

Patron

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not. I've had people buy 10+ refurbs from ebay over the last 2 years.. never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.