Low read write performace

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
So I just finished creating my first freenas machine. I am running a Pentium G3258 with 16 GB DDR3-1600 Memory and two arrays. The first is a mirror of 2 WD Red 2tb drives and the second is a raidZ of four WD Green 2tb drives. I am getting 10mb/s read and write on both arrays. Any help on improving performance would be greatly appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Start by making sure there's no 100Mb/s link between the server and the client.

gpsguy

As @Ericloewe surmised, the 10/100 ports on your router is the issue. Assuming you have gigabit ethernet NIC's in your FreeNAS server and client workstation, get a gigabit ethernet switch. Inexpensive 4-8 port models can be found for under $50 USD. Plug your devices into the switch and then connect the switch to your router.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What is meant by 100mb/s link. Sorry Im a super noob to freenas so I'm really learning as I go. MY router has a 10/100 ports
Well, there's your problem.

As gpsguy suggested, get a gigabit switch.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Thanks for all the help, the community here is really great. Especially for us new guys. I will pick up a switch this week.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not to be super nitpicky, but "10mb/s" means jack shite. Does it mean you're transferring 10 megabytes/second? 10 megabits/second? As a new guy, help yourself get better help by communicating clearly what you mean - capitalization is significant, as is the choice of abbreviation! "10mb/s" could be megabastards/second. "10Mbps" is clearly understood as a standard abbreviation for megabits per second. "10MB/s" is okay for 10 megabytes per second, but "10Mbyte/sec" removes some ambiguity and makes it clear.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Not to be super nitpicky, but "10mb/s" means jack shite. Does it mean you're transferring 10 megabytes/second? 10 megabits/second? As a new guy, help yourself get better help by communicating clearly what you mean - capitalization is significant, as is the choice of abbreviation! "10mb/s" could be megabastards/second. "10Mbps" is clearly understood as a standard abbreviation for megabits per second. "10MB/s" is okay for 10 megabytes per second, but "10Mbyte/sec" removes some ambiguity and makes it clear.
Sorry for being unclear I was referring to megabyte per second.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
I do have one final question in regards to this problem. How does adding a gigabit switch that is then plugged into the same port on the router increase my transfer speed?

mjws00

Guru
The switch will handle your traffic between workstations & NAS at full 1Gbe speed. You connect it to the router, which handles your internet traffic at it's original 100Mb speed. Since your router is still faster than your internet bandwidth, it is not a bottleneck.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Okay thanks for the response. So I will buy a switch hook both my nas and workstation to it and then run a cable to the router

Status
Not open for further replies.