Performance issues copying between zpools..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_B

Cadet
Apologies if this has been answered before, I have attempted to look for the answer but my limited experience maybe holding me back as I don't know how to word it correctly...

Anyways, my first FreeNas build has been up and running for a week now using the latest stable release. System specs are as follows, not 100% ideal but the wife moans if I spend too much lol

MSI Socket 1155 P67 Motherboard - Realtek NIC (Intel on shopping list)
i7 2600k CPU
8Gb Kingston DDR3
2x 5 way Hot swap SATA Backplane
5x WD 2TB Green Drives (Raidz1)
2x WD 1TB Green Drives (Mirror)
Corsair 16GB Boot drive

Cabled using Cat6A back to a Gigabit switch.

This system is mainly used as a media streaming server to my XBMC installs around my house. Windows 7 based in my living room and OpenElec installs on Raspberry Pi's in my bedroom and my daughters room.

It all works really well and I am very impressed as a whole. I can copy files to my windows machine (using CIFS shares) with transfer rates of 50-60MB/sec read and 120MB/sec write.

However, when copying files between the two pools on the FreeNAS box, its painfully slow, like 15MB/sec. What could be causing this? I would have thought it would have been much faster.

Thanks for reading, any pointers would be great :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So your mirrored vdev is in its own pool andthe raidz is in its own pool also?

Rich_B

Cadet
Correct. One called "Media" and the mirror called "1Tb mirror".

I think that when I use the windows machine to copy from the mirror to the Raidz, its routing the copy over the network and through the windows machine.. Why would it do this and not just go internally from one set of drives to the other?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It doesn't work like that unless you are using smb3 with server side copy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.