Losing network connection

ecbuck

Cadet
New to TrueNAS running latest version. Running server on home built Windows 10 machine Intel I-7 with 16 Gigs of memory. Clients are a Windows 10 Intel I9 and an M1 Macbook Pro. Truenas is installed and running. From the web browser of either client I can log in and configure. However, after a variable time the clients lose contact with the server. Can't open the web interface and can't ping from either client. The server is continuing to run and the 11 options on the OS interface can be invoked from mouse and keyboard. Is there some LAN timeout setting I am missing?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Typically, this is due to an IP conflict with some device running with the same IP as the TrueNAS server. Also common is a bridge table issue between wired and wireless segments of the LAN; eero meshes are known to suffer from this problem.

ecbuck

Cadet
Don't see how it would be IP conflict as all devices are DCHP. I do use a Velop mesh router. Master has Ethernet out which is how the NAS server is attached (via IP hub). How should I address the bridge table issue if that is the problem.

Samuel Tai

ecbuck

Cadet
Another piece to the puzzle. The connection only drops when I add a MacBook Pro to the network.

Samuel Tai

Try connecting your MacBook without using a private address. This creates a random MAC address for the MacBook, and your mesh may be holding on to the older random MAC addresses, causing the MAC table to overflow and drop the MAC of the TrueNAS server.

ecbuck

Cadet
What do you mean "without using a private address"? Is that a Apple thing? I am new to the MacBook.

Samuel Tai

ecbuck

Cadet
Thank you Samuel. Other than your linked article I can find no reference to private addressing on the MacBook, Only Iphones ipads and iwatches and I can't find anything that says how to disable on the MacBook. I am also skeptical that MAC address overflow would be the issue since the only device knocked off the network is the Truenas server. Seems if overflow were the issue, other devices would drop as well. Also would seem that if the connection works when first connected (when the private address is generated) it should continue to work while that Wifi connection is live.