Looking to Expand, but Need Help

denaba

Explorer
So I saw a sale on some 8TB HGST drives and I just had to get a couple more. Now that I purchased them I started to rethink my setup. Commands is my major weakness, but trying to learn. This is what I want to do. I have a lot of data which I want to move to another pool/dataset

My setup currently

pool A - /mnt/pool

I know, in TrueNAS you cannot have this I came from FreeNAS, but this is what I want to do to make things right. So the structure is
/mnt/pool then several folders (2 are folders with files in them and then 2 folders have more folders in them). I think one folder structure is

/mnt/pool/Folder > Folder > Folders and files while another is /mnt/pool/Folder > files

So if I can "mv" the second folder then all data goes too and for the latter just moving the first folder.

I am going to connect some more drives (I have some laying around that are still good); create a pool with them and then add a dataset so

pool B - /mnt/pool/dataset

Both pools will be in one TrueNAS system.

Then I want to do a "mv" from pool A that has folders with files in them to the new pool B just for temporary storage. This is where I have no clue on what the command would be in the shell. I have done "mv" within a pool in the past, but not from one pool to another. This is where I need help.

Then I want to destroy pool A (I read how to do this) and then add my new drives to the ones that are not even 1 year old. Then create a new pool A the right way; /mnt/pool/dataset.

Then I need to "mv" back to the new pool A from pool B. Here I need help with commands again.

Can someone walk me through this process? I do like the "mv" just because the data is copied first and then when done it then deletes the data from the source. Or "cp" I guess. I also read here that some guy had an issue and he used the tool WinSCP, would that be easier? Looking for suggestions for someone who does not know the command lines very well, but willing to learn.

An early thank you and look forward to this project.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Know that your 2 pools must have different names. They will also mount on different paths.

/mnt/pool
is what you say you already have, so your temporary one could be :
/mnt/tempool

Depending of how you move your data, permissions / ACL and other attributes may follow or not...

Also, usually, you create datasets at the root of your pool instead of regular folders. At least one level of dataset... So what exactly is what you pointed as /mnt/pool/Folder ? A dataset or an actual folder ?

You should also use more meaningful names when building your systems. Such useless names as "Folders" and "Pool" have only drawbacks and no benefits at all.

Here, in my main server, the pool is named after my private cloud and one dataset at the root is HAStore. Another one is LocalStore.
In my DR server, pool is named DR-Cloud to represent its role. HAStore is replicated there with everything it contains : that dataset is HA (High Availability) and is replicated to all of my 3 servers. LocalStore, as its name imply, is local and not replicated.

denaba

Explorer
Hello Heracles and thank you for the response. I do have names as you mentioned, I just used the words pool, folder, etc as samples. Yes, the plan is the temporary pool will be named differently.

Thank you