Looking for someone with HP Switch knowledge to help with 10gb shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Milyard

Patron
I have a HP 2920-24G Switch (J9726A) with 10gb module installed. I can get FreeNAS running but as soon as I try to install a plugin in jail on my SSD I lost connection. I think must be a switch issue but not sure how to fix it.

Nick2253

Wizard
Why do you think the switch is the problem? I feel like there's a lot of troubleshooting that either wasn't done, or wasn't explained.

What is the network card you have in the FreeNAS server? Have you tried different cables/SFP+ modules? Does the networking work at 10Gbps if you don't try to install a plugin?

Ray Milyard

Patron
Why do you think the switch is the problem? I feel like there's a lot of troubleshooting that either wasn't done, or wasn't explained.

What is the network card you have in the FreeNAS server? Have you tried different cables/SFP+ modules? Does the networking work at 10Gbps if you don't try to install a plugin?

Thanks for the reply. See post:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-and-intel-10gb-nic-issue.60349/#post-429496

Running 11.U4 it's working fine. However there is something wrong and can't figure out why when upgrade to 11.1 all this happens.

So today I installed fresh 11.1 on new USB stick. I also took old SSD with my media jails and plex out and installed new one as to not mess up and can roll back easy.

Get 11.1 running and all is fine. Imports my 2 volumes. One all my media files and other backup drive. All fine. Create in jail on the SSD and that is fine.

When I start to install sabnzbd on the SSD jail at about 50% I lose ping to the server. Look on switch and port is down. The switch is basically setup default.

I checked the port security for A1 and Learn Mode is Continuous, Address limit 1 and Violation Action NONE. This is the same way always been and works fine in 11.U4

So kinda lost at this point as to how to get to 11.1 and have all my media plugins and plex running.

Nick2253

Wizard
I feel like there's a lot more that we need to do before we can conclude anything.

Let's start with the connections. Have you tried other SFP+ modules? Other fibers?

Now, the other problem you might have here is either a power issue that manifests when installed a jail, or a data transfer issue when you're pulling down the jail. Let's rule either of those out: set up a basic share and hammer the bajeezus out of it. Write a ton of data, and read a ton of data. Does the connection go down? For good measure, start a scrub at the same time to really push the power envelope.

Now, let's rule out the 10G module. Try connecting directly via copper and doing the same thing. Any dropouts?

Ray Milyard

Patron
I feel like there's a lot more that we need to do before we can conclude anything.

Let's start with the connections. Have you tried other SFP+ modules? Other fibers?

Now, the other problem you might have here is either a power issue that manifests when installed a jail, or a data transfer issue when you're pulling down the jail. Let's rule either of those out: set up a basic share and hammer the bajeezus out of it. Write a ton of data, and read a ton of data. Does the connection go down? For good measure, start a scrub at the same time to really push the power envelope.

Now, let's rule out the 10G module. Try connecting directly via copper and doing the same thing. Any dropouts?

I don’t have other modules to try. However they work under 11.U4 so I would think they are fine. Just not sure what would really be different in 11.1. Drivers? However they work fine before the plugin installs.

Nick2253

Wizard
I don’t have other modules to try. However they work under 11.U4 so I would think they are fine. Just not sure what would really be different in 11.1. Drivers? However they work fine before the plugin installs.
Now you've got me really confused.

If this setup works fine in 11-U4, why would you conclude that the switch is the problem? If you can confirm that you hardware and network work properly in 11 U4, then it's the problem is likely with 11.1.

I would suggest making a new thread, with a better title to get help here.

Ray Milyard

Patron
I created a debug ticket. They are saying think it’s switch issue.

confused I am also.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Found something else out today. So my board has 2 intel NICs. If I use nic1 and remove ix0 10gb nic from boot console it works. As so as I add ix0 either give IP or DHCP stops working. I can no longer access web via the nic1

Did you ever resolve this issue I have the 2900 which is a similar switch and my port setting are the same, I'm running 11.0U4 at the moment.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Did you ever resolve this issue I have the 2900 which is a similar switch and my port setting are the same, I'm running 11.0U4 at the moment.

Was working fine with the 2900 and the Intel NIC. However in 11.1 it did not. I switched the Intel NIC for Chelsio and it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.