Looking for socket 1155 server board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Ray,

I'm using a Supermicro (take a look at my sig).

VERY pleased with it. IPMI is sooooooo useful and is very easy to set up. Useful not just for the remote access to the console but for powering down, switching back on, and attaching a virtual device (ISO image). This is something I personally have not used, however, does not get mentioned much and I would imagine "could" be useful for some people. I use something similar in VMWare and being able to attach an ISO image (I don't have a locally attached CD-ROM/DVD-ROM) is the dogs danglies.

Thanks for the info. I am still looking for a board. My choices are limited since was trying to get on Amazon and wanted it for Saturday. For some reason with being at work and new to FreeNAS and SuperMicro boards I am just confused as to which would be my best option.

Ray Milyard

Patron
One more board question. I have someone that will give me a Intel S1200BTLR board. How do you guys think these boards are with FreeNAS? On paper seems would be fine. I know without option doesn't have IPMI but could add later if needed. Main reason for this NAS is to server my media and run Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and CouchPotato.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Ray Milyard

Patron
Yes its a good board. That's what I am using right now.

Cool. Friend bring it over after work Friday and said I can have it. Anything special needed to do with your? I am going to use the IBM M1015 card to get SATA to my front 8 hot swap bays.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Just make sure your BIOS settings are proper and all should "just work".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So do you have the option RMM4 module? For Remote KVM etc?

The X9SCM-F-O has the IPMI preinstalled. Not sure if you are confusing remote KVM or not but I have no addon-modules for my system. IPMI is plenty for me since local access to the FreeNAS box is almost pointless 99% of the time.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.