Looking for socket 1155 server board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Milyard

Patron
What motherboard you guys suggest for socket 1155 cpu? I have a Xeon quad core v2 3.4ghz cpu and 16gbs of DDR3 ECC ram I would be using. Also would like to use my IBM M1015 card.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have (as you'll see in my sig) the X9SCL-F-O, and it's working fine for me. It meets the requirements you state in your first post, and I was able to find it as an open-box special on NewEgg for $115.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That case appears like it supports SSI EEB and SSI CEB motherboards. No mention of ATX/uATX/ITX. This means you may want to verify you can fit any of the above-mentioned boards before purchasing them. If this is the case then you are probably limited to LGA2011/LGA1356-based boards.

Alternatively, you could mod the case to make an ATX board fit. This will probably require drilling/tapping holes in the appropriate locations for your motherboard stand-offs.

Last edited:

Ray Milyard

Patron
That case appears like it supports SSI EEB and SSI CEB motherboards. No mention of ATX/uATX/ITX. This means you may want to verify you can fit any of the above-mentioned boards before purchasing them. If this is the case then you are probably limited to LGA2011/LGA1356-based boards.

Alternatively, you could mod the case to make an ATX board fit. This will probably require drilling/tapping holes in the appropriate locations for your motherboard stand-offs.

I chatted Intel and said ATX and others are fine. Guess will find out!

Ray Milyard

Patron
Just not sure what SuperMicro I should get. I want something that is future proof a little. Maybe add more SAS cards later etc. Looking on Amazon since want to get by Friday to work on this project this weekend.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you want future-proof, you'd probably be better off with a current-spec board, which would be Socket 1150. But since you already have a Socket 1155 CPU you want to use, that's not an option. Any of the SuperMicro X9 boards are likely to be OK, I'd probably go for either the X9SCL-F or the X9SCM-F.

Ray Milyard

Patron
If you want future-proof, you'd probably be better off with a current-spec board, which would be Socket 1150. But since you already have a Socket 1155 CPU you want to use, that's not an option. Any of the SuperMicro X9 boards are likely to be OK, I'd probably go for either the X9SCL-F or the X9SCM-F.

I'm on the road right now I'm curious what's the difference between those two boards?

Ray Milyard

Patron
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCA-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

How is this one?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should be fine. It doesn't appear to have the USB A connector onboard that would make it easy to keep your USB stick inside the case, but that's a pretty minor feature in any event. I don't have any experience with that board, but it looks like it should do what you need. The SCL and SCM are cheaper, though.

leenux_tux

Patron
Ray,

I'm using a Supermicro (take a look at my sig).

VERY pleased with it. IPMI is sooooooo useful and is very easy to set up. Useful not just for the remote access to the console but for powering down, switching back on, and attaching a virtual device (ISO image). This is something I personally have not used, however, does not get mentioned much and I would imagine "could" be useful for some people. I use something similar in VMWare and being able to attach an ISO image (I don't have a locally attached CD-ROM/DVD-ROM) is the dogs danglies.

Status
Not open for further replies.