looking for advice to replace Windows based home server

Juh

Cadet
Hello Forum!

I am currently running an old Windows 10 workstation as "server" that I want to replace because I want to get rid of Windows. I also want to buy new and power efficient hardware to reduce heat and lower my electricity bill.

current setup:

Intel i5-3570
Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
16GB DDR3
IBM 1015 SAS card
250GB SSD boot drive
2x 3TB WD Red (mirror for important data)
2x 8TB Seagate Archive (no raid etc.)
1x 8TB WD Red
Fractal Design R5 case
Windows 10 Pro

I mainly use the server as media storage for my CD/DVD/Blu Ray rips. I don't plan on building a Raid for the media files as the content is static and I have 3x 8TB for backup and the original discs in the basement.
The "server" also hosts a small MySQL database for KODI that is accessed by my RPI3 with libreelec and I have the Ubiquiti controller installed for my 2 APs.

At first I thought about getting a X11SCH-F + i3-8300 combo and give Plex a try but now that the RPI4 has been announced I don't think that i will be needing that much compute power.
So now I'm looking at a Denverton setup. The Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F seems to be a good candidate with 8 SATA ports and if I ever need more i could probably disable them and give the IO to the PCIE slot for a 16 port SAS card. 10GbE is not on my roadmap for the next ~5 years so no need for that in this build.

Am I on the right track here for my use case or is there a better solution out there?

thx in advance!

I don't plan on building a Raid for the media files as the content is static and I have 3x 8TB for backup and the original discs in the basement.
I suppose this is a reasonable choice so long as you keep the original CD/DVD/Blue Rays. As soon as the rips become difficult to replace you may reconsider.

The Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F seems to be a good candidate with 8 SATA ports and if I ever need more i could probably disable them and give the IO to the PCIE slot for a 16 port SAS card.
You can also keep using the on boad SATA ports AND use an HBA. Is there a specific reason you'd disable them?

A2SDi-4C-HLN4F
I think I would recommend against this board. First, it is a system-on-chip with a cpu which has a low passmark score. This may mean trouble if you try to transcode with your plex server. Also, it has only a single 4x PCIe slot which will severely limit your ability to grow and expand using this board. It diverts PCIe lanes to an M.2 slot which may be a negative if you don't have a specific plan for what you'll use the slot for. Finally, it has 4 1Gbps LAN ports which you may not need and might be better off not spending money on port you won't use.

I've never been the biggest fan of this board unless you have a specific use for that M.2 slot. If not, you might prefer something like the X11SSM-F which has more PCIe slots for flexibility and future growth.

If price is your concern for the better boards consider getting a used X10 board.

Juh

Cadet
You can also keep using the on boad SATA ports AND use an HBA. Is there a specific reason you'd disable them?
For the reasons you mentioned below to divert IO lanes to the PCIe port (seems to be an option in the BIOS)

I think I would recommend against this board. First, it is a system-on-chip with a cpu which has a low passmark score. This may mean trouble if you try to transcode with your plex server. Also, it has only a single 4x PCIe slot which will severely limit your ability to grow and expand using this board. It diverts PCIe lanes to an M.2 slot which may be a negative if you don't have a specific plan for what you'll use the slot for. Finally, it has 4 1Gbps LAN ports which you may not need and might be better off not spending money on port you won't use.
I'm actually not going for PLEX now so a lower power system would be ok for me if it is enough for Samba shares, a small SQL database and the Unifi controller.

I've never been the biggest fan of this board unless you have a specific use for that M.2 slot. If not, you might prefer something like the X11SSM-F which has more PCIe slots for flexibility and future growth.

If price is your concern for the better boards consider getting a used X10 board.
Well my first idea was a i3-8300 so that would rule out the X11SSM-F

Is it worth looking into buying a used X11SSM-F and a i3-7300 and how do you think such a setup would fare against a A2SDi-4C-HLN4F in terms of idle power usage?

For the reasons you mentioned below to divert IO lanes to the PCIe port (seems to be an option in the BIOS)
Ah, you're talking about when the M.2 slot of PCIe slots share lanes with the SATA ports? Many boards do not have this limitation in which case you can use all of your SATA ports, add an HBA, and use that as well.

Is it worth looking into buying a used X11SSM-F and a i3-7300 and how do you think such a setup would fare against a A2SDi-4C-HLN4F in terms of idle power usage?
At idle I'd guess that most of your consumption would come from keeping fans, HDDs, etc spinning. I'm certainly no expert there though so hopefully someone else will chime in.