Looking for a Addin Card for SATA

denaba

Explorer
Been thinking about changing my setup. Current system has 3 x 8TB drives. MoBo has 6 SATA ports, but I got a deal on some more HGST drives so now I am heading to use up 4 SATA ports and only having 2 open ones.

I was thinking as an extra way to move data around that I can add an addin card with 6-8 SATA ports and then if I need to ever move my data (copy or move) I can create a pool with equal storage size and then copy or move data to addin card pool. Then whatever be the case (pool reconfig, redo a pool, etc) then I can first move my files to the addin card pool, do my thing and then move it back.

I have read that LSI is the choice, but I was looking around at them and hard to see which one fits my needs. I want to be able to;
-Connect 6-8 drives
-Create a pool or pools with the addin card (i.e. just do Stripe, Raid Z or RAID Z2)
-Have files and folders move to the pool(s)

I did also did read that LSI cards run a bit hot. My case has a lot of airflow and air movement going around in my A/C room (Winter no heat other than server which is not a lot so cold).

Does anyone have a particular model that fits the above needs? I would like the latest, but if there are older good models I would like to see those as well. I have PCIe x4 slots.

If I missed some information needed to determine this then my apologies and just let me know.

Thank you everyone

ThreeDee

Guru
I use the inexpensive yet durable LSI9211-8i .. up to 8 SATA or SAS drives

denaba

Explorer
Thank you for the reply. That 9211 seems to be where I am at with my storage size.