BUILD Long Shot - Help with Graphics on NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I know this isn't really the place for this, but I know you guys know server-grade hardware a lot better than I do and may have already tackled this sort of issue.

I need to use an old graphics card with a DVI out as opposed to the VGA port on my Supermicro X11SSM-F. The VGA port works fine, but I get nothing from the graphics card's DVI port. I'll be hooking it to a TV in my office via HDMI, so the DVI port is a better choice for the video.
Any idea what settings I need to tinker with to get this working?

Thanks!
Matt

gpsguy

Since you have IPMI available on your Supermicro motherboard, use it, instead of an attached monitor.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I haven't used IPMI before. From what I gather, you just attach an ethernet cable to the IPMI RJ45 port and then assign it an IP (in BIOS, I assume?). Then you load the IP in a browser?

I mostly intend to run it never needing a monitor. I was just going to have it attached to the TV in case I ever did need to see what it had on the screen.

gpsguy

You're right. I *assumed* that he had another machine (client) that he could use for server management.

IPMI isn't going to work very well to the TV in his office.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
@gpsguy , you are correct. I am looking into setting up IPMI now, but I'd still like to get the graphics card working, if possible.

Thanks!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The BIOS defaults to the built-in VGA (ASMedia, if it's like my X11SAE). After setting it to shared, the IPMI then really, really didn't like that I tried to use DVI rather than VGA on the add-on card and prevented it from booting. I can't recall exactly how it is set now, possibly the internal video is completely disabled.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
@gpsguy , you are correct. I am looking into setting up IPMI now, but I'd still like to get the graphics card working, if possible.

Thanks!
As long as the client machine you are using is capable of running Java you should be fine with IPMI. The remote console is Java based. Once you use it you'll wish every computer you own had it. You can so just about everything you need to do from the remote console. About the only thing it won't do is make you a sammich.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I got the IPMI setup, so that's what I'll do. I know I don't need it, but it still bugs me that I can't get the graphics card working. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.