Login to SFTP/SSH using AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

alekstef

Cadet
Hi!

I want to use SFTP in order to allow remote users to access their content from outside my local network. The problem is, using an AD account to login to SFTP/SSH does not seem to work. I also tried with regular FTP / FTPS, but no luck. Honestly I'd rather use SFTP. Does anybody here know if it is possible in some way to login to SFTP using AD accounts?

I'm on FreeNAS 9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64.

- Aleksander

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi!

I want to use SFTP in order to allow remote users to access their content from outside my local network. The problem is, using an AD account to login to SFTP/SSH does not seem to work. I also tried with regular FTP / FTPS, but no luck. Honestly I'd rather use SFTP. Does anybody here know if it is possible in some way to login to SFTP using AD accounts?

I'm on FreeNAS 9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64.

- Aleksander

To directly answer your question. Yes, it is possible to use an AD account to authenticate against an openssh server. You can use "ssh -vv username" to figure out exactly where things are breaking and maybe fix your authentication problems. You are going a bit beyond what people typically use FreeNAS / AD integration for.

That being said said, typically a VPN is the proper answer to this sort of problem. If these are files in a CIFS share then you may encounter all sorts of weird permissions problems when using SFTP. It's better to stick with one protocol per dataset.

alekstef

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, anodos!

That being said said, typically a VPN is the proper answer to this sort of problem. If these are files in a CIFS share then you may encounter all sorts of weird permissions problems when using SFTP. It's better to stick with one protocol per dataset.

I realise that VPN is the proper way to go, completely agree with you there. The reason I am not going for VPN in this case, is that there is some bug with the OSX IPSec implementation, which makes the VPN connection time out every one and a half hours or so. Since all remote users are on Macs, and they usually transfer larger files, it is impossible to use VPN. Unfortunately. But that's a whole other topic.

To directly answer your question. Yes, it is possible to use an AD account to authenticate against an openssh server. You can use "ssh -vv username" to figure out exactly where things are breaking and maybe fix your authentication problems. You are going a bit beyond what people typically use FreeNAS / AD integration for.

I tried to connect to the FreeNAS server this way: ssh -p 77 -vv alekstef@my.hostname.com

Where alekstef is the AD username. Basically, this is the relevant part of what came out:
alekstef@my.hostname.com's password:

debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password

Permission denied, please try again

Then I checked /var/auth.log, which outputs the following:
Sep 23 12:27:55 egil sshd[2920]: Invalid user alekstef from 10.21.21.129
Sep 23 12:27:55 egil sshd[2920]: input_userauth_request: invalid user alekstef [preauth]
Sep 23 12:28:01 egil sshd[2920]: Failed password for invalid user alekstef from 10.21.21.129 port 51139 ssh2
Sep 23 12:28:53 egil sshd[2920]: Connection closed by 10.21.21.129 [preauth]

I also noticed that /etc/pam.d/sshd is configured to allow AD authentication (as far as I can see), so I really can't seem to understand the problem. Is it necessary to configure /etc/pam.d/system with these same parameters in order to be able to login locally with AD-accounts? Any ideas?

Thanks again!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just tested it. It works fine for me, but I think you are inputting your username wrong. The error you posted indicates that your username doesn't exist. Have you tried using "alekstef" instead of "alekstef@my.hostname.com"? (This is the way things work on my FreeNAS box that is an AD member server). For reference, here are a few of my config files:
Code:
$ cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Protocol 2
UseDNS no
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/sftp-server -l ERROR -f AUTH
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
ClientAliveCountMax 3
ClientAliveInterval 15
NoneEnabled yes
Port 22
AllowTcpForwarding no
Compression no
PasswordAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes 

Code:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/sshd
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/sshd,v 1.18 2009/10/05 09:28:54 des Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "sshd" service
#

# auth
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so             no_warn no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn allow_local
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so   silent try_first_pass krb5_auth krb5_ccache_type=FILE
#auth           sufficient      pam_ssh.so              no_warn try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

# account
account         required        pam_nologin.so
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so krb5_auth krb5_ccache_type=FILE
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so              want_agent
session         required        pam_permit.so
session         required        /usr/local/lib/pam_mkhomedir.so

# password
password        sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so   try_first_pass krb5_auth krb5_ccache_type=FILE
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

Let me know if you want me to post any other config files. Is there any technical reason you can't use OpenVPN?

alekstef

Cadet
Thanks, as far as I can see, our config files are the same, except I changed the SSH port to 77. Could you post your /etc/pam.d/system file? I'd like to see if you have pam_winbind in there.

I tried logging in with ssh -vv -p 77 -l alekstef my.hostname.com, didn't work. I get the same response. Also tried using HQ\alekstef and HQ/alekstef (HQ being the NetBIOS domain name). Very odd, especially if it works for you. My FreeNAS box is not functioning as a DC, though, it is merely a member. Maybe the problem is related to that somehow.

I'm not sure about OpenVPN. The IPSec was set up on the pfsense router by someone else, and to be honest, I don't know much about VPN in general. But I believe the guy who set it up, had a good reason for choosing IPSec. I just don't remember what it was.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks, as far as I can see, our config files are the same, except I changed the SSH port to 77. Could you post your /etc/pam.d/system file? I'd like to see if you have pam_winbind in there.

I tried logging in with ssh -vv -p 77 -l alekstef my.hostname.com, didn't work. I get the same response. Also tried using HQ\alekstef and HQ/alekstef (HQ being the NetBIOS domain name). Very odd, especially if it works for you. My FreeNAS box is not functioning as a DC, though, it is merely a member. Maybe the problem is related to that somehow.

I'm not sure about OpenVPN. The IPSec was set up on the pfsense router by someone else, and to be honest, I don't know much about VPN in general. But I believe the guy who set it up, had a good reason for choosing IPSec. I just don't remember what it was.
To clarify - my server is a member server. It is not a DC. Try logging in with just your username "alekstef". That is how I log into my server (i.e. no hostname, domain name, etc.).
Code:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/system
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/system,v 1.3 2009/10/05 09:28:54 des Exp $
#
# System-wide defaults
#

# auth
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so             no_warn no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn allow_local
#auth           sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn try_first_pass
#auth           sufficient      pam_ssh.so              no_warn try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass nullok

# account
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so              want_agent
session         required        pam_lastlog.so          no_fail

# password
#password       sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn try_first_pass
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

On a side note, it may be good to document the reason why the previous guy chose IPSEC over OpenVPN. Documenting everything about your network is a good way of avoiding problems down the road. I've personally had no problems using OpenVPN with OSX (I used it to stream my netflix when I was an aid worker in a developing country). It is very stable.

alekstef

Cadet
To clarify - my server is a member server. It is not a DC. Try logging in with just your username "alekstef". That is how I log into my server (i.e. no hostname, domain name, etc.).
Ah, ok. That is what I tried to do - ssh -p 77 -vv -l alekstef my.hostname.com - still get the same result. Very odd. Our /etc/pam.d/system files are the same as well.

On a side note, it may be good to document the reason why the previous guy chose IPSEC over OpenVPN. Documenting everything about your network is a good way of avoiding problems down the road. I've personally had no problems using OpenVPN with OSX (I used it to stream my netflix when I was an aid worker in a developing country). It is very stable.
Just asked him, and the reason was that with OpenVPN you need a separate VPN client, which I suppose is a bit more cumbersome than just using the internal IPSec implementation. Especially since we often set up these connection on-the-fly. But maybe that is what we need to do, use a separate client, and maybe also switch to OpenVPN. Nevertheless, I'd love to get this working. Am quite curious why it works on your setup and not mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.