Lock an Encrypted Dataset

mro

Dabbler
I have started to ZFS Snapshot Replicate an Encrypted Dataset to another Truenas core box.

I unlocked the remote dataset. I can’t figure out how to lock it again. How do I do this ?

Is it a passphrase protected dataset or did you use a keyfile?

Key File that i took from the Source Truenas Box
From my experience, once unlocked, the only way to re-lock an encrypted dataset that uses a keyfile is to disconnect the pool. Until then, the keyfile lives on the boot pool. For passphrase protected datasets, you can lock them at will.

Reactions: mro

mro

Dabbler
From my experience, once unlocked, the only way to re-lock an encrypted dataset that uses a keyfile is to disconnect the pool. Until then, the keyfile lives on the boot pool. For passphrase protected datasets, you can lock them at will.
Oh well thats not a good design. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: J_C

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I don’t believe that’s actually the case. There’s a pull-down menu at the right of the dataset underneath the 3 dots, and there should be a “Lock” option in that menu for an unlocked dataset.

mro

Dabbler
I don’t believe that’s actually the case. There’s a pull-down menu at the right of the dataset underneath the 3 dots, and there should be a “Lock” option in that menu for an unlocked dataset.
Could not see that at all

Oh well thats not a good design. Thanks for the info.
Agreed.

I can understand the justification for preventing the top-level root dataset from being locked if the System Dataset (.system) resides on that pool. Hence, why TrueNAS prevents you from moving the .system dataset to a pool in which the top-level root dataset is encrypted with a passphrase.

Why did they remove the option to "Lock" a dataset that doesn't use a passphrase? I think it's an artifact of how it was designed with handling GELI (legacy encryption) from version 11.x and earlier. There's no logical reason for preventing a user from locking an encrypted dataset that uses a keyfile instead of a passphrase, aside from the exception explained above in regards to protecting .system.

no-unlock_enc-with-keyfile.png

In the above screenshot, there are no child datasets nested underneath "playground". The dataset is encrypted, using a keyfile.

Last edited:

HarambeLives

Contributor
I came across this thread from a Google Search, and also found no way to lock the dataset.

This becomes a much bigger problem when you take into replication. The replication task attempts to match the GID's, not the usernames. So a replicated dataset gets a random mix of users from the second NAS unless all GID's match (And what are the chances of that?)

Now I have an unlocked dataset that can't be locked, which has a random mix of user permissions, and it can't be edited as its read only!

sretalla