link aggregation only in one direction useful?

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
Hi,
I tried out the link aggregation as I upgraded my machine with an additional network card with 4 Gbit Connections (Hardware Info at the end). My switch supports 802.3ad and I've set the 4 links to active link aggregation. In the NAS I've set LACP as protocol.
If I now test with iperf (two instances of iperf -s on different ports running directly on the NAS) with two machines connected to other ports on the switch I get interesting results:
  • for traffic from the 2 computers to the NAS I get in sum around 1Gbit.
  • for traffic from the NAS to the two computers I get around 1Gbit per computer
If I look in the reporting on the NAS it looks that in the first case (2 computers->NAS) only one link is used but for the outgoing traffic (NAS->2computers) two links are used.
I am doing something wrong? Do I have a wrong understanding?

Hardware:
Switch: D-Link DGS-1100-16V2 (Firmware actual 2.00.003)
1600591609129.png

NAS:
motherboard: Fujtsu D3417-B
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1225v5
RAM: 32GB ECC
HD: 6*14TB Toshiba Enterprise MG07ACA SATA
one pool with RAIDZ2
network card: Intel i350-T4
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-RC1
1600591745770.png

Has somebody an idea?

Thanks and Kind Regards
Marco

Link aggregation is not bonding. That means that any single conversation can get no more than the bandwidth of a single link. Link aggregation is very useful for redundancy or serving multiple connections. It won't make a single connection go faster.

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
Link aggregation is not bonding. That means that any single conversation can get no more than the bandwidth of a single link. Link aggregation is very useful for redundancy or serving multiple connections. It won't make a single connection go faster.
That is clear. But I had used three machines:
  • one with freenas (and running two commandlines with iperf3)
  • one Desktop with windows
  • one laptop with windows
Up to my understanding these are completely independent conversations or am I wrong here? And also the traffic outgoing from the NAS to the two machines was then near 2Gbit but incoming not (there it was only around 1Gbit).

Regards
Marco

Each side of the link uses a hashing algorithm to determine which member should carry the traffic. By default, most devices use the destination IP/MAC address. That works great from FreeNAS towards the client machines. It doesn't work from the client machines toward FreeNAS because it is a single destination IP/MAC address. If you the option in the switch, change the load balancing algorithm to use the source address on the link towards FreeNAS. That should give you a better distribution.