Link Aggregation - Load Balance Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

void269

Cadet
I just installed FreeNAS on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running 2x Broadcom NetXtreme II gig NIC's (which I have confirmed are supported). I set the 2x NIC's up with link Aggregation - Load Balance and the everything looks correct. But when i start tranfsering files tot he server only one NIC is streaming data. The other is basically doing nothing (see attached image). Is this a matter of not setting it up correctly? I recreated the Link Agg a couple of times with the same results, as well as changed cables and switches to rule them out.

Thanks!

FreeNAS 8 - Link Agg-LB.jpg

ProtoSD

MVP
You forget to mention which version of FreeNAS you're running, please be specific.

Thanks

void269

Cadet
My apologies. I am running FreeNAS 8.0.1 RELEASE (the newest version as of 10/11/11).

FreeNAS Build FreeNAS-8.0.1-RELEASE-amd64 (8081)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 6125MB
Load Average 0.17, 0.39, 0.72
OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3

louisk

Patron
How is your switch configured? and does that configuration match what you setup on FreeNAS?

void269

Cadet
The switch I have is just a standard non-managed switch so nothing to configure, but I have setup teams before on windows and other Linux based servers without issues. Also, I'm not running LACP, just 'Load balance'.

louisk

Patron
I've never tried doing a lagg on a switch that didn't at least support LACP. I would not expect the results to be favorable.

void269

Cadet
I have setup teams on this switch in the past (although not with FreeNAS) without issue. I don't see why it would be being that I have it set to LB. Is there any documentation you guys can point me to that explains this?

dalex

Dabbler
The switch I have is just a standard non-managed switch so nothing to configure, but I have setup teams before on windows and other Linux based servers without issues. Also, I'm not running LACP, just 'Load balance'.

I think you 're wasting your time (and ours). ANY kind of link aggregation (or bonding) has to be supported from both sides. In your past setup, your O/S was clever/kind enough to disable one port and work with the other, otherwise you would have some nice packet loops...

louisk

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.