lenovo system x3650 m5 + storewize v3700

otpi

Contributor
Will it freenas? I am fairly confident it will. But I've never used a storage shelf/disk shelf before. My current setup is an old HP which I connected all drives to the internal sata ports to avoid the raid controller. Are disk shelfs just plug and play?

This is an x3650 5462ac1 (i.e. xeon e5-2600 v3) with 8x2.5 in bays. The Storewize V3700 model is 2072 12C (i.e. 12 3.5 in bays). Currently in a rack with a brocade 300 fc san switch, but I don't know if those are connected, or if it's direct attached. Since the storewize is IBM(?) I'm hoping there's a freenas compatible LSI HBA inside.

I use FreeNAS to store all my files. As far as use: I take lots of photos/video and edit those over the network. It also hosts my plex server.

The plan:
- make a detailed plan.
- migrate current system to the this new server.
- It comes with 10 G sfp+ network cards, so I want to get my desktop-NAS up to 10 G speeds. My house is wired with cat6A, so guess I'll have to live with one of those 10GBaseT sfp modules if I'm unable to run fiber in parallel. I might splurge on a ubiquity poe+ switch with 2 sfp+ ports for this... (or get that mikrotik crs305)

Whishlist:
- Retain all hot swap capabilities.
- Use the 2.5 in bays to add an ssd pool for my editing needs. I'd like to be able to saturate that 10 G network from this pool.
(- probably add a few 3.5 in hdds)

ToDo (once all is up and running)
- setup nextcloud. I need a better way to share those photos.

What happens if the v3700 lose power? There's a hefty 5000VA UPS in the deal. So I'm fairly confident wrt power outages... but?

Inxsible

Guru
a link or two of the system that you are talking about helps so that we don't have to google and assume that it must be the system you are referring to.

otpi

Contributor
Well, it was a hasty post. Also, I don't (yet) have the full list of components. I assume it has a 2 cpu's and sufficient ram, but I'll update once I get it. I was also told (not confirmed) that it has a 10 GB sfp+ nic. Like a said I'm confident it'll run FreeNAS. The question is more geared toward the use of a disk shelf and SAS vs FC SAN vs FCoE.

Equipment (lenovo/ibm): system-x3650-m5-machine-type-5462, ibm-storwize-v3700-for-lenovo (IBM links: x3650 m5, Storewize v3700)

From the storewise description: "Flexible host connectivity to match diverse client needs with support for 6 Gb SAS and 1 Gb iSCSI connectivity standard, with optional 10 Gb iSCSI or FCoE, 8 Gb FC, or extra 6 Gb SAS or 1 Gb iSCSI connectivity."

I think I understand sas/sata (in limited capacity). i.e.: Provided the disk shelf supports HBA mode, then SAS is the way to go? No raid controllers, just plain HBA. I am hoping the included controller is of a compatible IBM LSI HBA type.

Because of the brocade 300 switches I assume something is using FC SAN. I have zero experience with SAN. From the past days google-fu I do not think FC SAN is the way to go. It just adds complexity, power draw. FC SAN might be a fun future project though.

Is SAS the better option? How does FreeNAS (zfs) and FC SAN go together? What about FCoE?

otrotabi

Cadet
Hi there. Did you get it working ? I am being offered one V3700 myself and as you were at the point you wrote your post, I have no idea. Counld you use Truenas with it ?