Least Painful Way To Upgrade Hardware to Hotswap

I3lackR0se

Dabbler
Hey! Thanks in advance for considering the problem. My harddrive management has become too difficult and disorganized, and I'm wanting to upgrade to something more manageable. Full details of my setup are in my signature, but the basic situation is that I have 18 storage drives (3 vdevs, each a 6 drive Z2) and two redundant system drives. My case can't hold all that, so I got two glorified metal brackets with fans to place all my drives in. Due to my lack of foresight with this setup I now have a massive bundle of cables fountaining out of my tower and plugging into various drives in these two mini towers. This wouldn't be completely unmanageable, except that every time I need to put in a new drive I have to unplug and replug in lots of them to get to the one(s) I need, so I'm biting the bullet and deciding to do something about it by switching to a hotswap setup.

I'd like to achieve this with the least amount of headache I can manage, and that brings me to my questions. Do I just need to buy a Supermicro hotswap case that can handle that many drives and move all my internals over to that? Or is there a similarly priced drive-only hotswap enclose made for situations like this I could leverage? I've found these (this or this), but I can't conclusively determine if they'll interfere with the hardware in a way that the Freenas's ZFS setup won't work with. Or if they can be directly connected to my mobo and sas expander card slots as needed by purchasing the proper breakout cables

Has anyone ran through a similar situation before, or have any insight on what the best way to approach this upgrade would be?