Large uploads to 9.3 gradually slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimi

Dabbler
I was testing the following setup:

-- Hardware setup --
500GB SSD (Segate 600 pro )
IBM M1050 Card (Flashed to LSI 9211 IT Mode)
8GB ECC RAM
GB Network
8GB USB thumb drive (where FreeNAS 9.3 is installed on)

-- Volume setup --
zpool : a single 500GB SSD (encryption enabled, no RAID, no ZIL)
...\->zfs datasest 1: share type:"unix" (standard for everything else such as compression:lz4, atime: on)
......\->zfs datasest 2: share type:"windows" (standard for everything else such as compression:lz4, atime: on)
.........\-> data folder

-- Share setup --
cifs : \mnt\zfs datasest 1\zfs datasest 2\data folder

Then I observerd the following when I drag and drop a folder contains 50GB of data in Windows 7 (using File Explorer) to FreeNAS cifs share:
  • For the first 6 mins, the transfer rate is at ~80MBytes/s
  • Then the transfter rate gradually drop to <12MBytes/s
The slow down also observed in FreeNAS reporting:
slowdown.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
don't drag and drop files to test performance. When you do that the src is probably the limiting factor. If you want to look at performance you need to remove variables and test freenas without using a protocol and then using a protocol without the src being the bottle neck. Then finally you can start to look at your workflows and figure out how those perform.

Peter Jakab

Dabbler
You can check this limitation on source side example open Resource Manager (inside Task Manager/Performance the button) and check for Disk read B/sec for those file if this is also small than you PC unable feed enough fot this test.

But Also I not expect big results. You have the minimum RAM recommended. That is mean real cache size extremely small. Example you can check with
Code:
arc_summary.py

Your ARC size could very small. After 6 minute of 80MB/s you reach about 28GB which is overloading one of the system capacity (cache or unable flush data to disks etc.).

Jackson, how is recommend more RAM
(I also have 8GB in my old PC and very expect this year when server replacement executed)

russnas

Contributor
can you test with FTP?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Post a debug... and FULL system specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.