LACP - Link Aggregation Network Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, I would like to take advantage of the Link Aggregation on my network, but I don't know if my network diagram would work. My situation:

(See file in attachment)

- Network on CAT6
- The Router is in a separated room from all the other media
- The router connects to the Internet and feeds information to my 2 Media Centers. (Both Media Centers in separated rooms),
- The router connects to a Linksys SLM2008
- Linksys SLM2008 used to connect to my main terminal and LACP to my FreeNAS (computer and freenas on the same room).

Note: I already have a Linksys SLM2008, so I will not spend money on one, I just what to use it the best way.

Questions:
- Will this diagram work?
- Will I take advantage of LACP on my 2 Media Centers?

The main Idea is to feed movies to both Media Centers at the same time, while I'm still able to work on my main terminal (make backups, transport files etc...).

Sorry if this seems like a verry noob question.

Best Regards
Soloam

Attachments

• HouseNetwork.jpg
    HouseNetwork.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,025

toadman

Guru
Short answer: Yes, it will work. Meaning you'll get traffic to/from the server.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot your second question. The answer is NO, your two media centers will not take advantage of LACP. In theory, yes, if their IP addresses fall out of the hash on different links, yes, those IP addresses would split the server bandwidth.

But your switch has 1G ports. So the port going from the switch to the router is only going to be able to do 1Gbps, not 2Gbps. So that's going to be the bottleneck. Each media center will only get 500 mbps of that link in a true shared situation.

You would be able to get 1 Gbps to the router AND potentially get 1 Gbps to the PC at the same time (depending on who the traffic is going to).

As mentioned above, the best topology in your case is connecting all clients and the server to the switch. (That said, i can't imagine your media boxes are going to pull anywhere near 1 gbps unless they are copying files. So you will probably be fine if you skip LAGG all together.)

Soloam

Contributor
Thank you for your reply toadman!

Best regards
Soloam

Status
Not open for further replies.