SOLVED LACP configuration fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops

Dabbler
My attempts to establish link aggregation have failed, so here I am...

-Smart/managed switch: Linksys LGS308

-freeNAS server w/ supermicro X10SLM-F mobo with dual ethernet adapaters (Intel® i217LM + Intel® i210AT Controllers).

-Software version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840

-ReadyNAS 104

I mention the ReadyNAS only because it was a couple of clicks to configure LACP and it's working fine.

Following instructions in the User's Guide, no NICs are configured. It's an IPv4 network with DHCP assigned address. In section 7.4.2, it describes creating the lagg interface. When I do so, I see both interfaces (igb0, igb1) which I highlight/choose along with LACP. However, unlike the guide suggests, once I hit the OK I do not get a chance to edit settings for the interface; instead, I get a message stating the network will be interrupted. I then lose connection to the server and it doesn't come back. The server drops from the router as well. I have to go to the onboard freeNAS menu to delete the interface before I am able to reconnect to the server.

The folks at Linksys indicated I should create the bond on the machine before creating it on the switch, but I've tried it both ways and it doesn't matter.

I suspect I'm overlooking a step somewhere, but have yet to solve the problem.

Thanks.

Pops

Dabbler
Try configuring the nics from the console, not the gui. That is how I recall doing it.[/QUOTETha

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried that method, too, but haven't been successful (likely my fault). I choose option 2 and follow the prompts. When asked to choose an interface to add to the lagg, I click 1 (of 2). It then asks me the same again and I choose 1 (of 1). Then it continues to ask me the question (choose an interface) even though there are no more. If I then use "q" to quit, the system reports it's creating the lagg. (lagg 0). Very soon after it completes the task, I start getting "network is unreachable" errors on the screen (which continue every few seconds). The only way to recover is to delete the interface I just made and the server rejoins the network.

Did that make sense?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Once you have created "lagg0", then you should select option #1 from the console ("Configure Network Interfaces") and set your options there.

If this is not working for you, try to deleting "lagg0" and recreating it, but as a "failover" to see if it works in that mode as a test.

Pops

Dabbler
Once you have created "lagg0", then you should select option #1 from the console ("Configure Network Interfaces") and set your options there.

If this is not working for you, try to deleting "lagg0" and recreating it, but as a "failover" to see if it works in that mode as a test.

I think you got it! It took a few tries to get it down, but eventually I held my mouth a different way an it worked.

One last thing, I've lost connection to my Plex and minecraft servers. Will I need to create an alias for each of those?

Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Glad it worked for you in "failover" mode. Perhaps your switch does not support the other options of LACP? Not sure myself since I did not lookup the particulars.

On the Plex and MineCraft, I will have to let someone else address that. I have not that familiar with jails as of yet since I have not made any for myself.

Only suggestion I could make is to check the IP/Network settings for them...

Pops

Dabbler
Glad it worked for you in "failover" mode. Perhaps your switch does not support the other options of LACP? Not sure myself since I did not lookup the particulars.

On the Plex and MineCraft, I will have to let someone else address that. I have not that familiar with jails as of yet since I have not made any for myself.

Only suggestion I could make is to check the IP/Network settings for them...

Using your instructions I was able to get it working without going to failover.

I'm investigating the problem of plugins used in a box with link aggregation. It seems that's a fairly common problem. I've not found a solution yet, but will keep reading. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.