L2ARC setup guide

ECC

Explorer
Hello,
I have a server with a 8x 18TB Raidz2 pool and 64gb ram. This is my usecase:
- mainly 1 client access
- workload is mostly read&write big files. During update writing, there are also a lot of small files, which affect performance.

To improve small file reading performance, i was thinking about adding l2arc. It will also be persitent cache, which is important because the server never runs longer than a few hours.

I have a 2TB enterprise nvme laying around, which could be use for this purpose.

How would you setup this l2arc or what would be your approach to improve the Performance?

Thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Start by looking at arc_sumary to understand if you're going to benefit from L2ARC or not.

If you're getting high enough ARC hits, you may get nothing out of L2ARC and it will eat some of your ARC to store its metadata, so may even make performance worse.

It will also be persitent cache, which is important because the server never runs longer than a few hours.
Warming the persistent cache on boot can take hours if it's large... I don't think your use-case is sounding very sensible.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Setting it up as metadata only may make some sense to help with small file access (metadata heavy activity) and will also help with warming times as not much actual data is cached.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How would you setup this l2arc
Easy, just add it to the pool as a L2ARC device. Whether it would benefit you is a separate question, and questionable for the reasons already mentioned.
Setting it up as metadata only may make some sense to help with small file access
...but while this may be more beneficial, it's also essential to the pool--if a metadata vdev fails, the whole pool is toast, and I'm not sure it's possible to remove these later.

sretalla