KVM for ocasional usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone recommend inexpensive KVM over network with mount ISO capability. I always use the build in IMPI in my supermicro severs but need also external solution for regular desktops.

Example: I want to do some work on wife desktop machine (re-install windows or something) but I don't want to sit there for hours ,I just need to plug KVM-over LAN to the usb and monitor , and do everything from my workstation , and when done just disconnect it and be done.

Is there inexpensive device that will do the job that somebody can recommend ?

I've recently acquired a used Lantronix spyder duo SLSLP400PS2-01 and it is okay but I'm glad I did not pay retail price for it. I've noticed the keyboard input is a little inconsistent, it uses Java which browsers complain about and setting it up was not difficult but certainly could have been easier since I'm not a fan of the whole telnet serial connection thing. This was a used unit however so the resetting to factory defaults in telnet isn't something you'll have to do the first time you use it and the flaky PS2 keyboard input might be a result of it actually controlling an old school PS2 KVM.

Nick2253

Wizard
If it's only for occasional use, what about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-40322-Extender/dp/B00B3329T8

It's not KVM over IP, but it is KVM over CAT5e. It might be a bit annoying in the sense that you'd have to run cables down the hall when you're working on it, but it's a lot cheaper than a true KVM over IP.

If it's only for occasional use, what about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-40322-Extender/dp/B00B3329T8

It's not KVM over IP, but it is KVM over CAT5e. It might be a bit annoying in the sense that you'd have to run cables down the hall when you're working on it, but it's a lot cheaper than a true KVM over IP.

Thanks for the suggestion , I thought about it, but it has to be over LAN , not direct cat5 cable. Too messy.

I've recently acquired a used Lantronix spyder duo SLSLP400PS2-01 and it is okay but I'm glad I did not pay retail price for it. I've noticed the keyboard input is a little inconsistent, it uses Java which browsers complain about and setting it up was not difficult but certainly could have been easier since I'm not a fan of the whole telnet serial connection thing. This was a used unit however so the resetting to factory defaults in telnet isn't something you'll have to do the first time you use it and the flaky PS2 keyboard input might be a result of it actually controlling an old school PS2 KVM.

Thanks for suggestion. What you mean "keyboard input is a little inconsistent" ?
Is this able to mount ISO as well ?

P.S. Probably nothing will come as good as supermicro IPMI for which I use IPMI View 2.0 software not a damn browser :-( But unfortunately not every board has this , and I have to find something as close as possible.

Nick2253

Wizard
Is this able to mount ISO as well ?
The Lantronix Spiders can mount a remote ISO. I would suggest looking for a second hand Spider on eBay, since you'll be paying around $400 for a new one.

Nick2253

Wizard
The Lantronix Spiders can mount a remote ISO. I would suggest looking for a second hand Spider on eBay, since you'll be paying around $400 for a new one.

That's exactly where I was looking for. I am trying to determine if it's worth for duo or regular version.

I just purchased this one: Lantronix SLSLP400PS2-01 SecureLinx SpiderDuo USED of ebay . I hope will do a good job and be less aggravating to setup.

I just purchased this one: Lantronix SLSLP400PS2-01 SecureLinx SpiderDuo USED of ebay . I hope will do a good job and be less aggravating to setup.

Wow that was quick, the inconsistency I was talking about is the occasional missed keystroke when pressed in rapid succession. I thought you wanted a USB one? did you just get the PS/2 because it was available?

Wow that was quick, the inconsistency I was talking about is the occasional missed keystroke when pressed in rapid succession. I thought you wanted a USB one? did you just get the PS/2 because it was available?

it should have both. Usb and PS/2. I hope i order the right thing.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm actually surprised that some company hasn't come out with a KVM-over-IP in the sub $100 range. I feel like there's enough of a market with the enthusiast crowd, and there are enough small businesses running services on re-purposed desktops that I would assume you could make it.

Nick2253

Wizard
it should have both. Usb and PS/2. I hope i order the right thing.
I think you should be perfectly fine I just haven't tested the lonely USB connector hanging from my unit.

I'm actually surprised that some company hasn't come out with a KVM-over-IP in the sub $100 range. I feel like there's enough of a market with the enthusiast crowd, and there are enough small businesses running services on re-purposed desktops that I would assume you could make it.
I was hoping someone would appear with one and that raspberry PI project looks interesting as a starting point.

Nick2253

Wizard
The biggest problem with a DIY solution was the video capture. Personally, I don't think the s-video pathway cuts it: I want full HD streaming video. When I looked on Amazon, I couldn't believe how expensive an HDMI capture device is. Most solutions I'm seeing are over $150. But a USB to HDMI/DVI video card can be found for under $50. Then I looked on AliExpress, and there is a HDMI to USB capture card for $13. However, it's output isn't even 720p. Better than s-video, but not really full quality.

I started doing some math on this problem, and I realized that my naive assumption that you could easily encapsulate HDMI (an already digital signal) over USB was actually really wrong. An uncompressed, full 30Hz 1080p HDMI signal (24-color bits per pixel) is almost 1.5Gbps (over 3x the USB2 bandwidth). To fit the HDMI signal over USB, you have to actually open it, and process it (either compressing it, or reduce it's quality, or something similar). Starting with an analog signal, you can capture to to the maximum capacity of your bus and no more, so it's actually much easier.

Last edited:
ok I got a working Lantronix SLSLP400PS2-01 finally. I am not very impressed , compared to Supermicro IPMI , but here is what's wort perhaps: I can't seem to boot in bios with this. If you reboot a PC, you'll get a video once Windows is half way loaded, so you can't press "del" to go to bios, Am I correct that this will not boot in bare metal mode to install os ?

it will not start a machine that is powered off without addition module and appropriate settings but mine allows bios access.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 380
it will not start a machine that is powered off without addition module and appropriate settings but mine allows bios access.

That's interesting ?! I know it wont start the machine, I can use wake on lan for that, But I don't see any picture till windows is loaded to the point where you see the blue screen "windows loading" and then see you desktop wallpaper.

Is yours exactly the same model like mine - Lantronix SLSLP400PS2-01 SecureLinx SpiderDuo ?

yup same model, do you have it connected to the computer through USB or PS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.