Kernel panic or reboot in minipc

arkanjo

Cadet
Hello,
I have a MiniPC purchased from Aliexpress with an Intel N4100 CPU and 8GB of DDR4 RAM.
As it only has 1 SATA port and I have 2 disks of 3TB each of 3.5" I ended up using a USB 3.0 enclosure for 2 disks, Blueendless BS-DB3502A, despite it having RAID I decided to leave it without to use RaidZ anyway.
It's been more than 1 month since I installed Truenas Scale, I created the data pool with these USB disks, the system is on a 128GB SSD, I installed nextcloud and messed around a lot all this time.
But recently it started to have several crashes, reboot and kernel panic and I can't identify the reason.
The pools indicate healthy, it was scrubbed and everything else smart on the disks also doesn't indicate anything wrong, but problem happens. When the USB Enclosure is connected, the problem is almost direct, without it, only with the SSD where the system is installed, it happens less but it also happens, often at boot, sometimes after a while, sometimes after hours.
I thought it was in USB Enclosure, but how it goes even without it, I'm not sure. Tried to update Scale and same thing.
It seems that the problem happens when there is a longer read and write in any pool, such as when scrubbing.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? strange to have worked for weeks and now giving problem.

Hardware I used memtester and stress command for hours and nothing found error.

Attached a video with one of the kernel panics at boot, but it's very fast messages.

Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Could be any number of things, but since it occurs at 9 seconds into boot.

1. morality issue
2. thermal
3. bad memory
4. bad CPU
5. incorrect BIOS settings
6. poor power quality
7. counterfeit product
8. just bad luck

Have you tried to install a different OS, or booting from a bootable image and run some diagnostics?

Last edited:

arkanjo

Cadet
Could be any number of things, but since it occurs at 9 seconds into boot.

1. morality issue
2. thermal
3. bad memory
4. bad CPU
5. incorrect BIOS settings
6. poor power quality
7. counterfeit product
8. just bad luck purchasing poor quality junk from china

Have you tried to install a different OS, or booting from a bootable image and run some diagnostics?

"8.." Not is bad luck, only bad money in brazil :D :D dont has to buy better hardware :D

But try test all, is very alleatory, sometimes error occour in boot, others work fine for more time.
make test with memtester and stress command and nothing

today try many reboot, but at this moment is work for more than 1h, I start without USB enclosure, wait about 10minutes and connect enclosure USB, use zpool import dados to read the data pool and seens ok

zpool status show scrub in progress at 231M/s and 18% done

I try too dissable compression

it seems that at some point it finds something corrupt and gives a kernel panic
But every tool I found always shows that everything is OK with disks and ZFS.
I'm waiting to see if it will give an error again, but at some point it should restart.

I'm out of flash drive now to put some live distro. Later I go out to buy one to do this test too.