Kernel Panic Memory Crash Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ub3r

Dabbler
Greetings everyone,

I've been using FreeNAS for about 9 months. I built a 30TB ZFS Raid-Z2 server with 32GB of RAM. Long story short, throughout my experience I was getting all kinds of errors (system hangs, crashes) and I did not know what to do.

The system would crash under load when I was transferring files or doing a zpool scrub, etc etc etc. When I was using FreeNAS 8.x the system would just hang and I would have to physically reboot it, but under FreeNAS 9.x it would then automatically reboot itself. I did some googling and was trying to figure out how to do kernel debugging to try to solve my issue, then I came across some people discussing kernel panic issues and how it was relating to their default memory settings. Doing further research, I came across this page http://barbz.com.au/blog/?p=362 which basically walks you through how to set up your memory settings. I applied their 90%/75% suggestions to my 32GB of RAM and applied the following settings to my boot/loader.conf

vm.kmem_size="30886M"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="25739M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="25739M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0"
vfs.zfs.zil_disable="0"
vfs.zfs.txg.timeout="5"
vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending="10"
vfs.zfs.vdev.min_pending="4"
vfs.zfs.write_limit_override="0"
I rebooted my FreeNAS a week ago with these settings and IT HAS NOT CRASHED SINCE. This is OUTSTANDING given that this system was crashing around 10-20 times per day.
That being said, I just wanted to toss this up here in case some less experienced people who are having this issue come across it and it helps them. I was literally dancing when I realized this was fixed. Hopefully this can make some other people dance too :)
Cheers friends.

warri

Guru
The system usually shouldn't crash, even without any tuning. What is your hardware? Are you using ECC RAM? If not, have you made sure that your RAM is good by running memtest?

ub3r

Dabbler
Yes, I've tested my RAM and no, its not ECC. Regardless, this has definitely solved my problem. I agree the system shouldn't crash....but it was :P

Status
Not open for further replies.