kernel: br0: received packet on bond0 with own address as source address

specter9mm

Dabbler
I am trying find out if my interface setup is correct, or I have done something wrong. I see this message is my logs quite often. Right now I have two 10g fiber links in a bond, without an ip address assigned, and a bridge set up with the bond0 interface as the parent. I assigned this truenas scale box 1 static ip address on the bridge interface. Should the ip address be on the bond0 interface instead? Will the bridge continue to work without any ip address assigned?

kernel: br0: received packet on bond0 with own address as source address (addr:ba:a1:9b:f6:ea:39, vlan:0)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have two 10g fiber links in a bond

Not recommended. You're not likely to be able to make a super high speed link out of this.

Will the bridge continue to work without any ip address assigned?

It should. A bridge is a networking construct that conventionally does not have an IP address. Failing to put an interface on a link aggregation (what the Linux folks mistakenly call a "bond") is bad practice; a system's native interface onto a layer 2 segment should carry an IP address, and that would be the lagg/bond interface. Doesn't matter that it's a virtual interface.

specter9mm

Dabbler
Not recommended. You're not likely to be able to make a super high speed link out of this.

It should. A bridge is a networking construct that conventionally does not have an IP address. Failing to put an interface on a link aggregation (what the Linux folks mistakenly call a "bond") is bad practice; a system's native interface onto a layer 2 segment should carry an IP address, and that would be the lagg/bond interface. Doesn't matter that it's a virtual interface.
Just to confirm, you're saying I should move the ip address to the bond and leave the bridge ip empty.