Keep separate disk volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdar

Cadet
Hello everyone.

How can I keep separate disk volumes in FreeNAS? I don't have many drives at the moment (one WD Red 3TB inside of NAS right now, and another Seagate 4TB that will arrive next week). I can't buy all the drives I need to create some RAIDs configurations (like RAID 1) and I really want to wait for 5TB drives to come out at the end of this year. In my NAS I have space for about 6 drives, without using any SATA cards.

My main goal with NAS is to be able to stream content on the NAS to HTPC with XBMC in my living room. Also, I usually keep frequent backups of all my content on external drives all the time. So.. I would not really worry if I will lose content on my NAS at the moment. However, I don't really like having just one JBOD, since I want to keep my drives separate.. so that if one disk some fail, I would not have to deal with lost of entire data across two disks.

So how can I do that? I want both two drives (and any others that I will add later) to be accessible by UPnP.... but I also want to keep them separate... so that if one does fail, I will not have to deal lost data on live disk like with JBOD.

paleoN

Wizard
So how can I do that? I want both two drives (and any others that I will add later) to be accessible by UPnP.... but I also want to keep them separate... so that if one does fail, I will not have to deal lost data on live disk like with JBOD.
Trivially. Create a separate pool for each disk.

IMO, this is a bit foolish once you start having 5TB drives. With 6 x drives I would just do raidz2, be done with it and actually have redundancy. For now separate pools are fine.

Also, you will need a separate mount point for each pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.