Kaby Lake (7th gen) i3 ECC support

Tommix

Cadet
Hello. Sorry for old timers who may encounter this question many times, but there just no answer. People in forums say oh Kaby Lake i3 doesn't support ECC, but Intel shows it supports ECC (im buying i3-7100T yeah it's garbage but more then enough for my needs). The problem for me-im still waiting for mainboard to arrive, it will take 7 days, but cpu is already almost arrived. I have no way to test it for ecc support. IMO intel i3 should support ECC and it was Intel's error in documentation. But there is some threads on itnernet when someone ask this question but never receives clear answer. Those are pretty old threads. SO maybe now in 2020 people already for sure know do i3 7th gen cpus support ECC or not? If 7th gen Pentium supports why would i3 wouldn't?

Thanks in advance.

Tommix

Cadet
Maybe someone knows how to check if system is using ecc or not by running some Linux command? Not the fact that ecc ram is installed but fact that ecc is used. Or i wont be able to boot with Unbuffered ecc memory if cpu doesn't support ecc?
Because f there wont be clear answers i guess i will have to answer to everyone when i get the system. :)

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
As far as I know both generation 6 and 7 of Intels i3 cpus supports ECC ram.
That was removed ECC support in gen8 and later generattions of the i3
I have one gen6 and one gen7 in my servers and both have ECC ram and they don't break a sweat in my basement.

Evertb1

Guru
While it's no powerhouse I would not call it carbage. If it suits your needs be happy with it. And yes it will support EEC udimms. There has been some errors in the ARK information a couple of years back but to the best of my knowledge Intel has corrected them. There should be still some posts to find on the forum on this subject. One thing though. If you go with a "T" version of this series to save some energy: don't. You won't save a dime. It will just takes more time to handle CPU intensive tasks and thus consuming about the same amount of energy as a CPU who is quicker done with it. I won't bother you with all the arguments. There is more then sufficient information about this subject to find out there.

Tommix

Cadet
Thank you all for replays. The problem is that in EVERY possible website but the intel's says that my particular cpu and all i3 of 7th gen dont support ecc. Except those that have E in model name which imo is stupid because E means embedded in Intel cpu line and not ecc like some people write. Because of so much low quality info i think those people are wrong and intel's website right.

I know those so called lower power cpu dont do shit, but that's what i could get. It cost me 43euros for i3-7100t nobody sells gen 7cpu in my country. And buying fro. Ebay is much pricier. :)

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Yeah, the gen6 and gen7 i3's are a bit hard to find these days, that's why I bought a spare a few months ago.
They rock pretty hard in a Supermicro X11 motherboard.

Tommix

Cadet
UPDATE:
Ok so got all the components to build my NAS. My results are following:

Memtest86 v7 PRO Shows ECC: Enabled.
Motherboard Asrock Rack C236 WSI BIOS says ECC feature ENABLED.
Ubuntu dmidecode can't dettect ECC. Doesn't show value for "Error Correction Type".

So i still not sure is ECC feature working or not. It's there i guess... Also tried memtest86 ECC injection..it did it... but don't know what to look for... it injected many times never showed any error (errors was 0), i guess that's good. But never showed it was corrected or detected either.