Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

injectx

Cadet
Hi guys,

So I've been around on the FreeNAS 7 forums for quite some time now.
Maybe some of you know me because of the tutorials I did for FreeNAS 7 at my blog.

Last week I've decided that it was time for me to step up and get me some FreeNAS 8 hardware.

So that's it. I'm currently in the process of migrating my data (which will take some time). And then off to creating some new sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato tutorials.

Big thanks to everyone at the FreeNAS community for building this great piece of software and providing great support!

HHawk

Contributor
Yeah please do create those tutorials!

I have used the tutorials on fantechtic several times for FreeNAS 7.2 and it even understandable for me! So please do.
I am still on FreeNAS 7.2 (6694) and not using 7.5 cause I had to redo my harddisk configuration (or something), so the next step up would be FreeNAS 8, however I need and want 'sabnzbd' very badly. It's really the main thing I use on my FreeNAS 7.2.

I already have the 'newest' hardware for my FreeNAS, however I miss sabnzbd on FreeNAS 8 (at least for a n00b to install it easily). And I am scared to transfer 'all' my data back and forth when going for FreeNAS 8.

So please do... And what will your system specs be?

//update

What's the best way to transfer data anyways between systems?

injectx

Cadet
Hi HHawk.

I don't know yet if I'm gonna make another series for FreeNAS 8. Mainly because I'm considering using Windows Storage Server 2008. I know it has some disadvantages compared to FreeNAS 8 but it also has many advantages. I want to setup some game severs which is not possible with FreeNAS.

But I had them working, all three; SABnzbd, Sick Beard and CouchPotato. Using this tutorial. It's not that hard. I didn't have time to look into startup/shutdown scripts but in that topic is everything you need to get them running. Good luck!

Btw, for my specs, check my signature.

HHawk

Contributor
That really sucks. :(

I thought your tutorials was quite clear. I don't know anything about Unix or similar. :S
So you got it running on Freenas 8 with that tutorial?

Uhmz... I will have to think about it, cause if I backup my data and go to Freenas 8, I don't have the time to fool around that much and if I run into problems, I have to rely on a speedy resolution, cause I cannot live without my backup data a long time.

Anyways, thanks for the reply back.

injectx

Cadet
Sorry about that. Maybe in the near future, who knows. FreeNAS is a fantastic platform for home storage. But I'm constantly expanding my own borders, testing new things etc. At the moment I'm testing everything related to Windows Server 2008.

One other thing that had me moving to Windows Server was my harddrives which constantly gave AFP timeout errors. I have 2 Samsung Spinpoint 1.5TB drives, one Samsung Spinpoint 2.0TB drive and one Seagate 2.0TB drive. AFP runs without any errors on the Seagate drive. With the Samsung drives, it's all errors. I read some posts about Spinpoint drives and FreeBSD 8 so I'm guessing the drives are just not that compatible.

So even if I wanted to stay with FreeNAS 8, I would have to buy 3 new drives (1x 2.0TB and 2x 1.5TB). That's just not gonna happen at this moment.

It's sad but again, maybe in some time I'll regret my choice ;)

Take care.

injectx

Cadet
That really sucks. :(

I thought your tutorials was quite clear. I don't know anything about Unix or similar. :S
So you got it running on Freenas 8 with that tutorial?

Uhmz... I will have to think about it, cause if I backup my data and go to Freenas 8, I don't have the time to fool around that much and if I run into problems, I have to rely on a speedy resolution, cause I cannot live without my backup data a long time.

Anyways, thanks for the reply back.

Your prayers have been heard ;)

HHawk

Contributor
Why didn't I receive a notification about this excellent news?! :) :)

I just installed FreeNAS 8 and decided to give the installation of Sabnzbd a go.
Then I remembered this thread... And you can guess I was very happy with this news (and tutorial).

I will start with it right away and report back. Thanks once again! Your tutorials are excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.