Just got a couple of computers and rack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahimlee54

Dabbler
Hi all I am installing freenas right now. I found a couple of servers locally and went and bought them with out knowing a lot about them. They both have consumer grade stuff in them that is at least 10 years old.... I may use that to mess around with but plan on upgrading to some nice used server stuff. Unfortunately one psu of 2 doesn't work but for the price paid I am not to upset.

I can at least look at the system architecture while I gather my parts list and cash.

Thanks
20180728_210527.jpeg
20180728_202844.jpeg
20180728_171447.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard
Those look way too ancient to be worth bothering with. DDR2? cheeses.

rahimlee54

Dabbler
Those look way too ancient to be worth bothering with. DDR2? cheeses.
Ya it's pretty terrible and slow haha. I played with one and dismantled the broken one. Not sure what to do with the old stuff. When a good coupon pops up on the bay I'll grab some decent parts.

rvassar

Guru
Are they standard form factor motherboards? Maybe you can re-use the cases...

DDR2? cheeses.

But it's DDR2 ECC! :confused:

Stux

MVP
What’s the HD backplane connector?

rahimlee54

Dabbler
What’s the HD backplane connector?
The motherboard has sata 2 ports, I havent removed the fans yet and really inspect hard. I will do that this week and read all the guides a couple times them look for some buy recommendations.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The motherboard has sata 2 ports, I havent removed the fans yet and really inspect hard. I will do that this week and read all the guides a couple times them look for some buy recommendations.
If we could get a look at the drive backplane it would give us some answers about how usable they are. Please try to get some light in there and take a few photos to share with us.

rahimlee54

Dabbler
If we could get a look at the drive backplane it would give us some answers about how usable they are. Please try to get some light in there and take a few photos to share with us.
Added to the wrong thread will add here as well. Is there a standard size for these guys? I found some supermicros that will do the job if they fit.
06070eb475b529f00552ddf586096f8d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.