jexec Wont See Working Jail

PureAFM

Dabbler
Hello, I have what seems to be a working jail set up. It starts and I can even ping it on my local network. I can see its file directory but jexec always prints "jail "rclone" not found", whether that's using the shell in browser or through SSH. Also, my ram usage seems to massively drop when I start the jail if that's related (im guessing its allocated ram taking effect). Anyone seen this issue before?

Its a 11.2 Release Jail.
All settings are default with exception to ipv4 settings (got the same issue with full auto).
The jail starts fine and reports no issues.
Im running freenas11.2-RC2

My plan is to then run rclone in the jail.

Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Have you tried connecting via the jail ID number?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If it's an iocage jail (which it would be if it's running 11.2-RELEASE), you can either run iocage exec jailname command or jexec ioc_jailname command.
My plan is to then run rclone in the jail.
Why? rclone is part of the base FreeNAS installation.

PureAFM

Dabbler
If it's an iocage jail (which it would be if it's running 11.2-RELEASE), you can either run iocage exec jailname command or jexec ioc_jailname command.

Why? rclone is part of the base FreeNAS installation.

Thank you, clearly, the guides I have been reading are out of date. I have never seen anything of rclone coming with the base FreeNAS installation. I have seen the new Cloud Credentials feature but it not working with google drive appears to already be a known issue. Im guessing that's not what you are referring too? Where is the rclone that is part of FreeNAS? The only mention of it I can see in the documentation is in regards to the Cloud Credentials.

Thanks, your knowledge much appreciated :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
rclone is the backend for the "cloud sync", so whenever that came in (11.1, I think), rclone was added to the base installation. But if the GUI system for credentials isn't working (I have no personal experience with it, as I'm now using Duplicati to back up data to GDrive, but I've seen a number of topics indicating there's a problem), you'd need to do everything at the command line (which you'd be doing in a jail anyway). That isn't too hard; just run rclone config and follow the prompts. See https://rclone.org/drive/. I have used it for this purpose in the past, and the CLI version of rclone was able to gather persistent credentials.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hello, I have what seems to be a working jail set up. It starts and I can even ping it on my local network. I can see its file directory but jexec always prints "jail "rclone" not found",

Use "jls -N" to get a full list of jails along with the jail name used.

PureAFM

Dabbler
UPDATE: And Tips for anyone else trying to do this.

Getting rclone working on FreeNAS
So using the built-in rclone on FreeNAS is basically the way to go imo. Doing this as danb35 said (https://rclone.org/drive/) gets you so far. BUT you need to do "Configuring by copying the config file" at: https://rclone.org/remote_setup/#configuring-by-copying-the-config-file. Don't forget to use "rclone config file" to locate both where the config file is on your pc and where it should be on your NAS. Then by using "clone copy --verbose "file/location" "nameofremote":/ It will successfully send a test file to google drive! And I believe that's all working form the FreeNAS side.

The API Problem
So you go into google drive and the test file isnt there. I believe it is all about this: https://forum.rclone.org/t/files-synced-but-not-visible-in-google-drive-web-ui/5064/4 I had a go and couldn't get it to work. I tried without using G suit administrator but don't have a working client ID. I don't have a website if a domain is really required but I don't think that's going to solve it. I believe my NAS can retrieve anything it uploads but it is not visible to the web client and google photos making it kind of useless for my use.

Any input is welcome and good luck to anyone else trying.

PureAFM

Dabbler
UPDATE: And Tips for anyone else trying to do this.

I wonder if running a very lightweight VM which has a gui which can run the desktop google drive sync would work well. Viable for a system with 8gb of ram?

PureAFM

Dabbler
A system with 8 GB of RAM is pretty light for FreeNAS alone, much less for anything involving VMs.

Yeah :/ I was wondering if there is a super lightweight OS I could use. Mint only requires 1Gb for example.

Can't believe it's so hard to copy some photos to google drive from the NAS so I can chrome cast them XD

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Could you use something like this in a jail? https://github.com/xat/castnow

I don't have any experience of it, but might give it a spin if I get some time.

PureAFM

Dabbler
Could you use something like this in a jail? https://github.com/xat/castnow

I don't have any experience of it, but might give it a spin if I get some time.

Oooh nice idea, thank you. That would work great with video. Not so ideal for slide shows as I imagine controlling it from a phone at the sofa would be far from smooth. Plus the non-techies using it are going to have a fun time. That would especially good for movies so ill look into it for that.

My current working plan is that I have a VM Lubuntu running (surprisingly smooth) on 512mb of RAM. I wanted to have the desktop app to upload photos to google photos but there is no linux support from google! Tired a few linux alternatives but TLDR they don't work with google photos properly. I can use google chrome and use a local gallery plugin to view files of the NAS and cast directly which is wonderfully smooth compared to accessing the NAS from my phone and then casting (unusably slow). The problem is that FreeNAS VMs seem to be stuck at 1024x768. That makes sense for most jobs as I imagine that gives performance gains but you can't view content on it :/ It comes out as 4:3 on the TV. I can't find a way of outputting chrome cast at a different display resolution (which seems kinda dumb).
[UPDATE: With some use, I can report Lubuntu works great in a VM with little RAM. If you don't fullscreen google chrome it works pretty well, not perfect but acceptable, the only proper way I can think of is using an Android TV and cut out chromecast all together.]

I think the next thing I will try is emulating the pFolio android app (which allows uploading to google photos) or regular google photos in an emulator for chrome. Not sure if it will run on a lightweight Lubuntu VM only time will tell. Having FreeNAS synced to google photos would make for a VERY nice chromecast experience... if its possible.
[UPDATE: This didn't work, all the Linux apps I found don't do the unlimited photo sync and most don't even do automated sync]

Last edited: