Jails Do Not Auto-start

JPombear

Cadet
All of my jails do not start up at boot even if "auto-start" is enabled and iocage get boot name equals to 1. I also tried to set boot to true though the console but had no luck.
Unfortunately I could not figured out when this behavior specifically started. I use FreeNAS-11.3-U3.1

For now I fixed it by adding iocage start name to an init script, but would like to use the native solution with the boot priority.

If you don't mind, I'll tag along on this thread, hoping we both can get assistance, I'm having a similar issue.

I have Two jails both set to autostart, confirmed via 'iocage get boot NAME'.
One jail will always autoboot, same one every-time, my other jail will never autoboot and I can't figure out a way to solve it.
I can start the jails manually just fine after NAS-reboot so they're both working fine apart from this.

I can't find anything I feel is related in /var/log/messages or /var/log/iocage.log

Just updated to 11.3-U3.1 hoping that would solve it, but nope.

The only difference i can see between my two jails iocage config is that the one that refuses to autoboot is a basejail, while the one that can autoboot is a clone jail.

@JPombear
Do you know if your jails are basej ails or clone jails or a mix? (iocage get basejail <JAILNAME>)

As soon as I have time I'll try to create another basejail and another clonejail and see if there is a pattern for me, and report back.

JPombear

Cadet
Hey sorry for the late response!
I am kind of happy that I am not the only one

Some jails are basejails and some are not, I think it doesn´t matter in this case

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check your jail mounts. Mounts referring to encrypted pools requiring a passphrase won't autostart, as the passphrase isn't entered during the boot.

JPombear

Cadet
Check your jail mounts. Mounts referring to encrypted pools requiring a passphrase won't autostart, as the passphrase isn't entered during the boot.
Thanks for your answer! What exactly should I check? Maybe I misunderstood you but I did not change the location or pool of any of my jails.
The location is MyPool > iocage > jails and MyPool is encrypted but that is the case since the beginning and auto-start already worked.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Thanks for your answer! What exactly should I check? Maybe I misunderstood you but I did not change the location or pool of any of my jails.
The location is MyPool > iocage > jails and MyPool is encrypted but that is the case since the beginning and auto-start already worked.

Look at iocage fstab <jail name> --list. These are the external mounts for the jail with name <jail name>. If any of the paths refer to encrypted pools needing a passphrase to unlock, the jail won't autostart, as the mount isn't available at boot.

Look at iocage fstab <jail name> --list. These are the external mounts for the jail with name <jail name>. If any of the paths refer to encrypted pools needing a passphrase to unlock, the jail won't autostart, as the mount isn't available at boot.

Thank you, this explains my issue.
My base jail does have mounts in encrypted pool but clone jail does not.