Jails broken after revert from Corral to 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessbones

Dabbler
Hi--

The other day I updated to Corral prematurely, not fully realizing that I would not be able to access my jails anymore. One of my jails is running a pydio filesharing server, which I absolutely need to have running, and so I quickly realized I needed to go back to 9.10. I restarted into the older boot environment, but now I'm unable to use anything in any of my jails. I was able to fix transmission fairly easily by altering some permissions (pam error) but I can't get anything going on the pydio server.

I at least need to be able to start mysql to export the database so I can begin migrating to a docker container, but I've tried everything I can find and I'm stuck.

Right now the jail will start, but upon trying to start mysql-server i'm getting the error:

Code:
Starting mysql.																													
su: pam_start: system error																										
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server: WARNING: failed to start mysql

php-fpm seems to start fine, but nginx also has a problem:

Code:
Shared object "libpcre.so.1" not found, required by "nginx"																		
Starting nginx.																													
Shared object "libpcre.so.1" not found, required by "nginx"																		
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx: WARNING: failed to start nginx

I've tried changing the permissions on /usr/lib/* to 755, as well as on /etc/pam.d/* but nothing has changed-- these are the things I did to fix transmission, although I plan on reinstalling the plugin anyway.

I don't mind having to completely redo my jail as a docker image, since it was my fault for upgrading without fully understanding what I was doing, but I need to at least get my mysql database back--

I even tried restoring to a snapshot from before I did the upgrade, as well as starting on a completely new freenas boot drive, but oddly neither solved the issue...

EDIT: Now i believe my reversion to the snapshot didn't work because "recursive" wasn't checked on... ugh

Last edited:

Lessbones

Dabbler
anybody have any thoughts? I've struggled with this for about a week on my own and haven't really gotten any further... I'm kind of at a loss for why doing this upgrade would mess with anything inside of the jail anyway, but I'm not ready for Corral yet-- just when I was starting to feel comfortable with 9...

Lessbones

Dabbler
In case anyone is wondering, it seems that permissions were changed all over the place in my jails. I ended up fixing the problem and getting mysql to work by fixing the permissions in /usr/local/lib and on the /tmp directory, as well as in /var/db, /var/db/mysql, and /usr/local/bin.

Then I also needed to uninstall nginx, PCRE, and any dependencies, and reinstall all of that. Since then I've been able to get everything running again, but now that I was able to dump my mysql dbs, I'll probably remake the jail.

I still don't understand why all this happened, and why the update would even touch any of the permissions INSIDE of a jail (i'm guessing that corral is ignorant of jails and sees them as simply folders) or indeed why permissions would be touched at all on this volume...

Status
Not open for further replies.