Not open for further replies.

Nick Howard

Contributor
My folder structure for my media files is as follows:

media\movies
media\music
media\photos
media\tv shows

I've installed plex and created storage locations to each of those folders. My question is will all sub folders within those folders above need individual storage locations adding too?

for example in my music folder each individual artist has their own folder and sub folders for each album etc..

media\music\radiohead\okcomputer
media\music\radiohead\thebends

So just by creating a storage location to media\music will plex be able to see all these sub folders? If I have to create individual storage locations to each folder and then sub album folder this will be a pain. Or alternatively is there a work around to this?

D

dlavigne

It depends upon whether the subfolders are directories or datasets. From http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Adding_Jails#Adding_Storage:

NOTE: a mounted dataset will not automatically mount any of its child datasets. While the child datasets may appear browsable inside the jail, any changes will not be visible. Since each dataset is considered to be its own filesystem, each child dataset must have its own mount point, meaning that you need to create a separate storage for any child datasets which need to be mounted.

The keyword in the note is dataset.

Nick Howard

Contributor
I feared that was the case, seems crazy to have to add storage locations to each sub folder within a data set. How do others organise their media libraries? I've got over 1000 individual albums all having their own folder with album covers and lyrics etc. There's no way I can create a storage location for each!

D

dlavigne

What is your definition of subfolder? A dataset? A directory? If it's a directory, it's not an issue.

Nick Howard

Contributor
6ir6ex.png

So those above are the 4 datasets I've created inside the media dataset. I've created a storage location within a jail for each. Now if I just directly add say 5 songs into media/music I'm able to see these via plex on my pc/tv. If however I add the folder structure of my entire music collection as it is on my PC into media/music then plex can't see them.

As below this is how my artist/albums are structured. I'm just fearing I'd have to create an individual storage location for each artist and then individual album so the jail could see them and link it to the plex media destination folder.

15chr0i.png

fracai

Guru
Your datasets are:
/freenas
/freenas/media
/freenas/media/movies
/freenas/media/music
/freenas/media/photos
/freenas/media/tv

Any of those that you share with (re: mount in) the jail will include all sub-folders, excluding any datasets.

So, sharing /freenas/media would include any sub-folders, but would not include movies, music, photos, or tv. Sharing /freenas/media/movies would include everything in that directory and it doesn't look like you have any child datasets of /freenas/media/movies, so nothing would be excluded.

Nick Howard

Contributor
Ok I've solved it. Basically I had a storage location pointing to /freenas/media along with storage locations pointing to:

/freenas/media/music
/freenas/media/movies
/freenas/media/photos
/freenas/media/tv

As soon as I deleted the storage location to /freenas/media and just left the 4 above it all worked. Im guessing it didn't like the fact that it in effect had two pointers to each dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.