Jails and folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compaqact

Cadet
Hi All,

I have been a FreeNAS user for a few years, and everything has been working very well. I recently started playing around with Jails, and I am seeing some strange behaviour that I am unsure as to what to do to solve it. Let me explain my setup:
I am running FreeNAS 11 (just upgraded tonight to see if this solves my problem)
I have an SSD Drive which stores all of my data and jails. The jails are in a separate directory to the shared data, and each jail has access to the relevant mount (TV, Music etc). The problem that I have is as follows:
I run Plex Media server as a jail, and this has access to my shared TV directory. The reason for it being shared is that I upload content from my laptop, or it is pulled down from another Jail. When the one Jail wants to write to the shared TV folder in this instance it can't, due to a permissions issue. I changed my permission at the volume level with no joy. Went into the command line to change the permission via chmod to 755 (I have no need to restrict user access as its just me), but to no avail. It works fine until a new directory is created, and then I have the same issue all over again. I tried to run the volume as root, but no change. Set the shares to a separate user account, which allows access from the share, but no change for the jails. What I landed up doing was breaking FreeNas, so that nothing worked, hence the rebuild.

What am I missing ? do the jails run with a different user which which has no access to my volume ? how can I change this ? is there a way to say anybody can do anything from a jail to a user.

Thanks

Compaqact

usergiven

Dabbler
Nope - I still have the same issue. I haven't found a work around yet
Have you tried creating a blank jail and then importing/uploading all of the plugins into that same jail? That works for me when different plugins needed access to the same permissioned data. Not sure if that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.