Accidentally Changed Permissions, Cannot Start Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
Hello,

I stupidly decided to recursively change permissions in my jails dataset and now I cannot seem to get ANY of my jails to start, whether they're manually installed jails or installed from the plugins menu.

I've tried going into each jail to manually 'service [plugin] start' each service and they all show up with different errors.

PLEX
Starting plexmediaserver.
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # Shared object "libstdc++.so.6" not found, required by
"Plex_Media_Server"

SABNZBD
Starting sabnzbd.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

SICKBEARD
Starting sickbeard.
PID dir: /var/run/sickbeard must be writable (write permissions). Exiting.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sickbeard: WARNING: failed to start sickbeard

OMBI
root@OMBI:/ # service ombi start
Directory /tmp/screens/S-root must have mode 700.

COUCHPOTATO
Starting couchpotato.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/couchpotato: WARNING: failed to start couchpotato

Any help fixing this, reverting permissions, or doing something to get these jails to start again would be much appreciated. Thanks!

m0nkey_

MVP
If you have set-up snapshots of your jails, you can easily roll it back. If not, it'll be a nightmare fixing all of this. You're better off rebuilding your jails in this case.

styno

Patron
What exactly did you change them to? But yes, roll back to a snapshot or backup you made before the change.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
The problem is, I'm a noob and have no snapshots to roll back to. What should the main 'jails' folder permissions be? I can't even get a plugin installed off of the list and have it work properly at the moment.

m0nkey_

MVP
The problem is, I'm a noob and have no snapshots to roll back to. What should the main 'jails' folder permissions be? I can't even get a plugin installed off of the list and have it work properly at the moment.
You'll need to re-create your jail root in order to pull down a new template.

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
OK, so how do I got about recreating the jail root? Do I just delete the dataset for jails? Is there another forum post somewhere with instructions on how to do that?

Spencer Myers

Dabbler
Yup I got it. Created a new jails dataset and redirected my jails config to point to there. I got an error about jails & shares, had to delete all my SMB shares to get it to point to the new location. Reinstalled all the apps and everything seems to be working now. I guess I'll be doing regular snapshots from now on! Thanks for all the replies.

nanopete

Dabbler
Stupidly did this on my main dataset holding all my jails in an attempt to get CIFS working all over. I love the automatic snapshots!
By the way, if you can't get CIFS to work with Windows when it should, trying changing the users password back and forth, did the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.