Jail with FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dub_c

Cadet
I used the FreeNAS GUI to create a jail. It seems that the jail is FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE

Code:
# freebsd-version												 
11.0-RELEASE-p1
/

I would like to upgrade to 11.1-RELEASE, but I am getting this error:

Code:
# freebsd-update -r 11.1-RELEASE upgrade						   
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.					   
Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org... failed.						 
Fetching public key from update6.freebsd.org... failed.						 
Fetching public key from update4.freebsd.org... failed.						 
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I get the same type of error when I try to run
Code:
freebsd-update fetch

I'm not sure what this means or if it is possible for me to upgrade. I'm very new to FreeNAS and FreeBSD, so I'm assuming I'm missing something fundamental.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FreeNAS 11.1 hasn't been released yet. The current version of FreeNAS is 11.0 which is based on FreeBSD 11.0. You can't upgrade a jail to a newer version than the base OS.

AngeleToR

Dabbler
I think you're wrong, Jailer, as FreeNAS is now 11.1 based but the jail template that gets downloaded is 11.0 still, that makes mySQL crash on startup and LOTS of stuff depending on it to crash too (it happened to me trying to update my Calibre jail).

Soooooo... it seems like waiting for 11.1 jails is our only option right now...

Mmmmm.... checking the upgrade I did a couple hours ago.... I'm on the FreeNAS 11-STABLE train, but freebsd-version shows FreeNAS as 11.1-STABLE, so yep, jails are one version behind right now...

dub_c

Cadet
Any idea when we will be able to create 11.1 jails? Or is there a workaround to do it now using the current version?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any idea when we will be able to create 11.1 jails? Or is there a workaround to do it now using the current version?
Not sure what the issue is for you but a fresh install in virtualbox with a newly created jail seems to work just fine.

Code:
FreeBSD test 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+d4625dcee3e(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed Dec 13 16:33:42 UTC 2017	 root@gauntlet:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

AngeleToR

Dabbler
Not sure what the issue is for you but a fresh install in virtualbox with a newly created jail seems to work just fine.

Code:
FreeBSD test 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+d4625dcee3e(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed Dec 13 16:33:42 UTC 2017	 root@gauntlet:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

That looks promising... I've re-created a new jail but still 11.0
root@Calibre:/ # freebsd-version
11.0-RELEASE-p1

Could you pleas check where is your newly created freenas downloading its jail index from???

Mine is pointing here:
http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/jails

And I only receive a 404 error when trying to access directly from the browser...

Thanks for looking further into it, I think the problem is cornered now ;-)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you creating the jail from the new UI or the old one? You need to use the new UI to create a 11.1 jail and select the 11.1 template when configuring it.

AngeleToR

Dabbler
Damit... the old interface of course, I thought they were in sync... So there it is, I can't thank you enough for bringing this to light, I have an interesting weekend ahead recreating my jails thanks to you... Mixed feelings right now, I thank you and I blame you :p:p:D:D

Thank you very much!!!!;);)

AngeleToR

Dabbler
Trying to create the jails in the new interface, but the new interface doesn't show the old jails??? Also seems stuck creating the new jail, I'll give it more time and check back in a couple hours as I have to leave... Time for a bug report??? hope not...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Trying to create the jails in the new interface, but the new interface doesn't show the old jails?
No, it doesn't, as has been thoroughly discussed.

dub_c

Cadet
I have also been unable to create a new jail using the new UI. I got there by clicking on "Try the Beta UI!" from the login screen. Is this the correct UI that you are referring to?
Thanks.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes the beta UI is used to create an iocage jail. The old UI is still using warden for jails management.

dub_c

Cadet
OK, thanks. I'll keep trying to get a new jail from the Beta UI and see what happens. Thanks.

dub_c

Cadet
I was able to create a jail with 11.1-RELEASE using the new UI. I can enter the jail through the command prompt using iocage. However, there is no ports directory in the jail. Also, I can't install pkg or any packages. I suspect I did not configure the jail correctly when I created it. Any guidance on how to correctly configure the jail so that I can install packages in the jail?

AngeleToR

Dabbler
OK, some further testing showed me that the beta UI is still way too beta to my liking... It hanged a couple of times while creating a jail, never finishing the task and showing the rolling circle endlessly... Also there is no way to add storage, to point the jails root to wherever you want to, and I've found yet no way to enter my own MAC for a jail to receive its IP from the router, where I store the mapping to my internal IPs and de NAT rules, I use DHCP for my whole home network and the old jails where working great with that...

That said, maybe I'm too noob in the new interface and all that I need is there somewhere, but I'll stick to the old one and will wait there for the 11.1 jails to make its way to warden jails...

Hoping to see the 11.2 freeNAS to finish the new UI and give it the same power the old one has, almost there but not yet...

P.S: Oh god, I sound like I grandpa here, re-reading my post checking for typos... ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

lopr

Explorer
the new UI is so buggy and horribly designed it is shear luck if it does anything that you want.
I suggest you use iocage on the command line only. that's seems to work better but still some bugs with failed mounted datasets (when moving/cloning/renaming jails). you have to re-mount manually then.

danb35

Hall of Famer

lopr

Explorer
Where are your bug reports?
I don't have enough data yet to make a good report. I just started taking a look at 11.1
and the GUI thread is full of good suggestions, there has just not enough work been done. I'll be looking forward using a modern UI when 11.2 or 11.3 is released.

guglez

Explorer
How can I upgrade my old jails? I do not want to create new jails instead. Is there are any options?

MysticCobra

Cadet
How can I upgrade my old jails? I do not want to create new jails instead. Is there are any options?
From the current 11.1 documentation, in section "13 Jails": "While a migration script will be made available when the transition is complete, it will not be able to anticipate every configuration scenario for every application installed in jails. At that time, the recommendation will be to: create new jails using the new UI, copy over any existing configurations, and delete the old jail datasets once the new jails are working as expected."

So, the recommendation will be to create new jails. If you don't want to do that, you can try your luck with the migration script that will be provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.