How to setup a Minecraft Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris pucknell

Explorer
Hi

I've been following this guide http://tapalla.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/setup-a-minecraft-server-on-your-freenas/ on setting up a Minecraft server running, if I understand correctly, on a separate FreeBSD installation run in tandem to FreeNAS inside a jail.

I see this as being something a lot of people with FreeNAS will want to try after they've set up their media storage and what not. But for the entry level beginner such as myself, it's all a bit baffling, even with instructions.

Naturally I've encountered problems with the guide, which is perhaps out of date in some respect, or else my feeble grasp of the fundamentals is to blame.

I have been able to follow the guide more or less exactly until i get to the section using the chroot command and pkg_add command, where it starts spitting errors at me:
[root@fileserver /mnt/MainArray/jails/Cybertron]# chroot jail_root freebsd-updat
e fetch install
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors… 5 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org… failed.
Fetching public key from update6.freebsd.org… failed.
Fetching public key from update2.freebsd.org… failed.
Fetching public key from update3.freebsd.org… failed.
Fetching public key from update4.freebsd.org… failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

[root@fileserver /mnt/MainArray/jails/Cybertron]# chroot /mnt/MainArray/jails/Cybertron/jail_root
chroot: /usr/local/bin/bash: No such file or directory

I think possibly my confusion surrounding chroot is responsible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Let me know what info you need.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, So I've decided I'm going to see if I can handle making a guide for minecraft servers in a jail. I've never played this thing before, so any chance you could skype/phone call me and help me get a clue on this before I jump in and get my feet wet? If so, PM me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.