Jail dataset created on a share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dureal99d

Contributor
What am i doing wrong?

I am running freenas 11.1.2u and I have installed a 10tb data center drive. I have tried to switch the jails i have made to the new drive but get this error
Jail dataset created on a share

It doesnt make sense to me, what am i doing wrong? should I not be able to simply select the drive i want the jail root on and make it so?

D

dlavigne

What messages appear in /var/log/messages when you try to change the jail root? If there's nothing there, is there anything in /var/log/middlewared.log?

danb35

Hall of Famer
should I not be able to simply select the drive i want the jail root on and make it so?
No, because you don't put datasets on drives, you put them in other datasets. And the GUI, quite rightly, won't let you put the jails dataset inside a dataset that's being shared. So if you've shared the root of your pool, for example, you won't be able to put the jails dataset on that pool--which is just one of the many reasons we recommend that you not share an entire pool.

dureal99d

Contributor
Alright all!! Thanks for the advice and info. I simply removed all shares i had going via smb and then created a dataset named jails. then wala, updated with success

dureal99d

Contributor
inclusive to this i also migrated my jails (warden) to the new drive all in working condition. I think its time for a well written tutorial to be posted of this adventure!!!!!!!! Stay tuned;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.