It all started with a...

blueether

Patron
It all started with a and old desktop that I wanted to get a redundent store of 10 years of DSLR photos from my wife and my travles around Europe and latly the two sprogs that arrived.

I came across FreeNAS and decided that it should suit our needs, with the added bonus of jails and Plex, so down the rabbit hole I dived.

This first system was commodity hardware with new 2TB Ironwolf drives in a mirror with 8GB non ecc RAM to replace an external 2TB USB3 disk.

After much reading and filling up 85% of the pool I decided I would go down the old server route and picked up a pair of IBM x3650 m3 both with m1015 raid cards that I flashed to IT mode. All was well in the world untill I decided I wanted to re-purpose the old Ironwolfs and a couple of other 2TB hdds I had laying around so along came a emc vnx ktn-stl3, that happened to come full of 600GB 15k SAS drives.

So in the last year I've gone from 2TB of USB storage to 20TB of formatted ZFS storage.

The current plan is to do
Server 1:
  • Proxmox
    • pfSense
    • FreeNAS (passthrough m1015 and LSI cards, attach ktn-stl3) running on a raw disk so will work with or without proxmox
      • NextCloud (currently still running on the old desktop)
      • Plex (currently still running on the old desktop)
      • Share out diskspace for VMs
    • Windows VM
    • Some flavour of KDE linux VM (currently Neon)
    • Some flavour of BSD VM (currently Dragonfly)
Server 2:
  • Proxmox or esxi for playing with what ever
    • backup FreeNAS to hold snapshots or #1
Desktop: May send off site and run a 3rd FreeNAS as off site backup...
IMG_1768_.jpg