Issues using pkg add

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticpete

Contributor
Hi all

Having issues using pkg add command, can anyone shed a light on this error "no manifest found"?

root@mythweb:/ # pkg add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbzmythtv-0.26.0.tbz 100% 153MB 1.2MB/s 740.4KB/s 02:12

pkg: /tmp/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz.C41AP is not a valid package: no manifest found

It is clear that I did not request the package as detailed above so I am wondering where the mix up is?

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ ports/amd64/packages-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz

when I look in /tmp/ I see the package but it's been renamed somehow to
mythtv-0.26.0.tbz.91yuA

D

dlavigne

The correct command would be pkg_add -r mythtv, or if on a 9.x system, pkg install mythtv. Both commands assume that a pkg is available.

mysticpete

Contributor
The correct command would be pkg_add -r mythtv, or if on a 9.x system, pkg install mythtv. Both commands assume that a pkg is available.

Yes I know the commands, the package is not available under these commands hence the full path.

This does not explain the errors.

D

dlavigne

That error means that you're using a pkg_ command on a pkgng system. Use pkg install instead or build the port.

mysticpete

Contributor
That error means that you're using a pkg_ command on a pkgng system. Use pkg install instead or build the port.

No, I am not using pkg_ commands

This command does not work either....

root@mythweb:/ # pkg install ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz
Updating repository catalogue
root@mythweb:/ #

root@mythweb:/ # pkg fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/package s-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz
Updating repository catalogue
root@mythweb:/ #

Neither does pkg fetch, same response.

I do have pkgng installed

D

dlavigne

Your post is confusing--we can't tell if you're using pkg_add, pkg install, or pkg fetch, or have tried all three. If you're mixing and matching, don't, you'll muck up your pkg database.

If pkg install name_of_package isn't working, there isn't a package. Use ports instead.

mysticpete

Contributor
Your post is confusing--we can't tell if you're using pkg_add, pkg install, or pkg fetch, or have tried all three. If you're mixing and matching, don't, you'll muck up your pkg database.

If pkg install name_of_package isn't working, there isn't a package. Use ports instead.

I am not sure how you find the two commands and responses above confusing? Looks pretty straight forward to me, why not just try the commands yourself and see the result?

I have tried all 3 commands

pkg add
pkg install
pkg fetch

and none work, I even printed the responses after the command is executed...

But the old command version of pkg_add -r mythtv worked (until the package was removed from the pkg list) and pkg_add -r ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz still works!ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.4-release/multimedia/mythtv-0.26.0.tbz

I am just trying to use the replacement command set and telling you it does not work in this case.

Whether you want to fix that or not is up to you guys, I'll just carry on using the old version until you remove it in a future build.

doctor15

Dabbler
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue with 9.2.1.5 installing mythtv

mysticpete

Contributor
No the team never came back to me to update, and I know the problem is still there!

mysticpete

Contributor
No, it's a plugin jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.