1583477251406.png

But it works only if you have these SMB share settings:
1583477325114.png

It doesn't work with the default SMB share settings:
1583477374917.png

Last edited:

msim888

Cadet
Do not forget to set the correct zfsacl.so file permissions (0755) before executing that command:
service smbd onerestart

TimoJ

Dabbler
I'm using default SMB share settings, so that explains is.

Cuprum

Cadet
If you feel enterprising, you can extract the attached zipped file, clone your boot environment, and replace /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs/zfsacl.so with it. Once you do this run the command "service smbd onerestart".
Sorry for the silly question, but what are the next steps once 11.3-U2 is available? Should I return to the original boot environment that was cloned and update it from there?

cmdrwgls

Cadet
I've been debugging this issue for 3 days after it trashed a backup process. I've got a whole series of point-in-time snapshots that are useless now.

I'm glad you've diagnosed the issue, but how is it you KNOW you've got something broken, you KNOW it worked in a previous release, and you haven't pulled the update? I'm an old-hat admin but new to FreeNAS, I assumed the stable release channel was ... stable. Is this normal? Stable update breaks expected behaviour, leave broken update in the pipe, just fix it in the next release?

Please note, while I am complaining about how this was handled, this is not a rhetorical question. I genuinely want to know if this is an unusual situation so that I know how cautious I need to be when updating FreeNAS.

LMB

Dabbler
Exactly same problem on my end. Perfectly fine working Freefilesynch pushing data to FreeNAS is now getting confused, as mirrored files are newer than source files... Seems like I rushed moving to 11.3-U1. But at least I know it is FreeNAS as last two days I wasn't sure what was happening...

amp88

Explorer
I'm glad you've diagnosed the issue, but how is it you KNOW you've got something broken, you KNOW it worked in a previous release, and you haven't pulled the update? I'm an old-hat admin but new to FreeNAS, I assumed the stable release channel was ... stable. Is this normal? Stable update breaks expected behaviour, leave broken update in the pipe, just fix it in the next release?
Indeed. I really can't understand the logic of removing a workaround which was well established and working properly before a fix for the underlying issue was in place. I'm also annoyed to see there's still no mention of what I'd consider to be a severe problem with a core functionality of FreeNAS in the release notes for 11.3-U1. How many more people are going to run into this issue?

LMB

Dabbler
Indeed. I really can't understand the logic of removing a workaround which was well established and working properly before a fix for the underlying issue was in place. I'm also annoyed to see there's still no mention of what I'd consider to be a severe problem with a core functionality of FreeNAS in the release notes for 11.3-U1. How many more people are going to run into this issue?

Has anyone reported this issue?

amp88

Explorer
Has anyone reported this issue?
@anodos (who has an iXsystems badge, so appears to be a member of their staff) has posted in this thread multiple times. I think it would be safe to say they're aware of the issue.

Reactions: LMB

Redcoat

MVP

TimoJ

Dabbler
Cloned boot environment, copied the patched zfsacl.so, fixed ownership, restarted smbd and set the SMB share settings as epr above but I'm still getting incorrect destination modified timestamps after robocopy backup. This issue has ruined all of our daily backups.
If possible, just revert back to 11.3.release version and wait for 11.3.U2. That's what I did.

ilium007

Explorer
If possible, just revert back to 11.3.release version and wait for 11.3.U2. That's what I did.

I got it working, SMB share settings were wrong (I think I missed hitting save - caught the error in a testparm output)

I had to get it working because my backups are toast without robocopy working.

I am now concerned the Jira ticket is marked complete in the 11.3-U1 release which it clearly is not.

amp88

Explorer
This Jira ticket (I think this is the correct issue) says that the fix version was 11.3-U1

That's a different, but related, issue. See this post for a bit more info. The current issue (SMB copies having their last modified/created dates overwritten with the copy date/time) was introduced in 11.3-U1, and is apparently going to be fixed in 11.3-U2. In the meantime, there's a patch you can apply in 11.3-U1 here (which also requires you to follow the advice in this post), or you can revert back to 11.3-RELEASE until 11.3-U2 comes out. It's all very messy.

ilium007

Explorer
That's a different, but related, issue. See this post for a bit more info. The current issue (SMB copies having their last modified/created dates overwritten with the copy date/time) was introduced in 11.3-U1, and is apparently going to be fixed in 11.3-U2. In the meantime, there's a patch you can apply in 11.3-U1 here (which also requires you to follow the advice in this post), or you can revert back to 11.3-RELEASE until 11.3-U2 comes out. It's all very messy.

Thanks - already applied patch on my system and currently testing. Looks good so far.

genetix1999

Cadet
I have Same issue i have copy 1.5 TB of data from my old HDDs to FreeNAS 11.3 U1 server but after some day i find out every file creation date change to current data now i have create a configuration file backup and install FreeNAS 11.3 and restore conf now everything is normal but i have to copy all new data again.
Please do not update freeNAS untill Bug fix.

turment

Dabbler
A temporary workaround I found is use SCP (WinSCP under Windows, as many others) to mass copy files to Freenas and preserve data and time.

Bit long but it works.

P.S: Mountain Duck (and others) allows you to mount a SSH server as drive letter.

Last edited: