iSCSI with Windows - Mark II with TrueNAS

jcl123

Dabbler
Ok, this is a continuation of a previous post here: Hardware config and iSCSI with Windows

After some great advice from HoneyBadger and others, this is what I am currently thinking:

16x 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM SAS Seagate ST4000NM0023 - configured as two 8-drive Raid-Z2's striped, should yield about ≈43TB
This is connected in the 16 chassis bays with the expander using one of the motherboard connectors.

The other motherboard connector will have a breakout cable with 4x 400Gig 2.5" 12Gig SAS WD/HGST HUSMM1640ASS204 0B32172
- I was successful upgrading these drives to 12Gig :wink:

But, with the new options with TrueNAS, the question is, what is the best use configuration for the SSDs?
Hoping someone with more understanding of the new features has a suggestion.
Or, maybe in my use case I stick with traditional setups.

-JCL

Some other thoughts:
- I could cut down the slots used for HDD's and put in more SSDs, if there is a good reason to do that, but they would run @ 6G
- That might be OK if they are used for different purposes​
- I could even add another HBA and add up to another 8x SSDs @ 12gig, again if there is a good reason to do that
- The reason it is 8x is that is the limit of additional 2.5" SSDs I can physically fit, 12x total including the one's on the other HBA​
- Thinking I might dedicate the whole box to TrueNAS, and then do iSCSI @ 10Gig to another box that has VMs
- This has the added advantage of giving TrueNAS all 128GB of RAM​
- But, then the other box is less focused on storage, just VMs​
- I have a JBOD with a 12Gig expander that can do 10x HDD's and 2x SSDs (more if I added boxes, since the expander is 36 ports)
- Thinking of connecting that to either of the boxes to use as a backup target​