iSCSI set-up for multiple Windows Servers

jcook.atlas

Cadet
Greetings all, please excuse me if this question has already been asked and answered elsewhere...

I'm currently knee-deep in the planning and design stages of an enterprise-wide, multi-location (based on the enclave model) server upgrade where NAS/SAN will be a major feature and I have a couple questions regarding the implementation of iSCSI in a multiple enclave environment. I have the networking side of things pretty well nailed down with software-defined networks (SDNs) and Virtual LANs for everything - including a dedicated VLAN in each enclave for NAS/SAN services.

Each enclave will host a virtualized TrueNAS server (yes, Ive done all the required and suggested reading about visualizing TrueNAS). Each enclave TrueNAS VM will host ~35TB of cache-backed storage via a ZFS-2 array of eight drives as a single VDEV. The storage and cache drives will be directly connected to the VM via HBA forwarding of a Broadcom 3008. The entire array will be carved up (for quota management) via four use-case specific ZVOLs. Each ZVOL will be formatted NTFS for direct attachment to a Windows environment, and will then be accessed via iSCSI extent targeting initiated by a Windows server in each enclave. So fair pretty straight forward...

Here's where it gets 'fun': How do I enable iSCSI extent-target initiation from multiple servers OUTSIDE the local enclave at the same time- in other words, how do I connect multiple initiators to the same block storage pool extent target via iSCSI over a SDN VLAN? Yes, I know it's easy to do - theoretically. However, I also know that if it isn't done correctly, the first time two initiators attempt to access the same block at the same time , I will lose everything due to corruption.

Is it really as easy as creating multiple iSCSI targets (one for each server) and then associating various target via extents to a single ZVOL device?

Does each server need it's own target AND extent combination or can multiple targets use the same extent without issue?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't share a block device (in this case an ISCSI volume) between hosts unless you're running a filesystem that supports that, otherwise you will corrupt data very quickly.
Nothing's stopping you from having multiple independent volumes, though. Thanks to the magic of ZFS, you don't even have to deal with nonsense like partitioning the space.

NugentS

MVP
Also VMWare on Z2 - I hope you won't be hurting for IOPS