Brand new to FreeNAS iSCSI Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8lbv

Explorer
Yep completely green/new to this.

Just spent about 8 hours trying to setup a simple iSCSI share to be seen by Windows 7,8,10,servers etc.
Most of those hours were spent reading and searching of course and trying stuff.
There's a lot of help and videos out there but they all or most seem to apply to older software and I didn't find much on my topic what is new or seemed to match version 11.
What I did find which seems to be new didn't make any sense:
Things like I find in the current documentation such as that located at: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-storage-shares.53913/#Creating_iSCSI_Shares

"Creating iSCSI Shares

From the GUI

An iSCSI share is created via the GUI by selecting the Storage ->Volumes ->Shares+ -> +Create -> New ISCSI share section of the UI. Next, fill out the desired fields, and press Save to create the share.

Here's a couple of things to remember when creating an iSCSI share:
  • A volume must be created before a share can be created.
  • Ensure the iSCSI service is enabled.
  • Mandatory fields are highlighted with the asterisk (*) symbol.
  • Advanced shows more share options."
Well you can't just click on Storage then Volumes then Shares or "Create" or +(expand) and then Create... they don't exist there or anywhere else! "New ISCSI Share" doesn't exist anywhere either.
I tried a lot of things creating targets and initiators that matched names making sure group 1 had access yadda yadda yadda.
The initiator was connecting just fine-
I could connect to the target from Windows but the device would never show up when clicking on "autoconfigure" like is shown everywhere.
I also tried manually typing in the names of the share with no success.

I eventually noticed the "Targets / Extents" and "Add Target / Extent" thing that I think may have showed up later after I had created targets and extents that had matching names.
Long before I noticed that had shown up.

Or I just never noticed it at all I'm not sure.

That did the trick.
Working great.

I've known FreeNAS is pretty awesome for a long time.
Just now getting around to giving it a good try.
I have plenty of reading to do.
And many more things to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.