iSCSI "Device is Not Ready"

Hello all,

So I have dived head first into setting up a FreeNAS server to host all of my media for a Plex server. I have never done this before and a lot of the stuff I am learning on the fly.

I use a cloud backup service that gives me unlimited cloud backup storage. The catch is that it will only back up on non-server operating systems (Windows 10 for example) and will only backup Logical drives. So it will not back up my FreeNAS server (it will but this would be commercial pricing which is per TB). Because of this I have been setting up the shares as an iSCSI so windows will see it as a logical driver, and the backup service will back it up. This has been tested, and it works. I have been able to create 2 iSCSI Shares, and connect them to Windows, no issues.

My issue is when I attempt to set up a 3rd and 4th iSCSI, windows will see the drives, but when I attempt to initialize the driver I get the error "Device is not ready".

One of the working iSCSI is using a zvol as the device. The other working iSCSI is using a disk as a device. I have tried both configurations on these other 2 and I get the same errors.

FreeNAS Version 11.2
Windows 10 Pro 1809
FMB-1101 Motherboard - https://www.also.com/pub/pdf/Z420.pdf
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8 cores)
16 GB RAM
4 Hard disks All WD Enterprise 2 TB
On Board NIC

Please let me know if there is any other information you will need.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

In order to help identify any issues that arise out of choice of hardware or configuration, the Forum Rules, conveniently linked in red at the top of each page, requests that you post a full hardware manifest and description of your configuration, which is often very helpful in identifying where things are going astray.

In your particular case, I'd be concerned that you've configured iSCSI on top of RAIDZ and made the devices very large, which might not be a good thing, depending on the specifics here.

I have updated the post with the specifics that yoo asked for. I have not set up any RAIDZ configuration that I know of.

Here are the drives.

list of Drives.JPG

The circled are the ones that are working. ada0 is the iTVShow Extent

list of Extents.JPG

The first iSCSI I set up, I set up a Pool, and created a zvol

1564934533178.png

Created the Extent using the zvol as the Device.
1564934589219.png

I was able to connect it to my Windows 10 machine and everything is working.

It seemed Messy working with a zvol (I have really not Idea what the best practice are or even what I am doing) and as I was not planing on using a raid setup or extending the volumes as I would be upgrading the drives as I can afford to and they all wouldn't be the same size any more, I set up the iTVShow to use the drive as a device.

1564934954891.png

This worked. It is connected to my windows machine as a physical drive and working correctly.

I then proceeded to make a third one that will contain the audio files. I set it up he same way I set up the iTVShows. This gave me the error in windows

1564935184821.png

I then thought, maybe there was an issue with the drive. The drives I have are used, and there is no guarantee that they would work. I then set up a 4th iSCSI using a 4th drive that I called test.

1564935282872.png

This also failed with the same error in windows.

I then set up the iAudio with a zvol instead of using the drive as a device, as you can see from the list of extents, and still same result in windows.

Here are the Associated Targets

1564935408435.png

And in case it is important,

Target Global Configuration
1564935454385.png

Portals
1564935505615.png

And I will need to post the rest in a different post as it seems I am limited to 10 Screenshots

Welcome to the forums.

In order to help identify any issues that arise out of choice of hardware or configuration, the Forum Rules, conveniently linked in red at the top of each page, requests that you post a full hardware manifest and description of your configuration, which is often very helpful in identifying where things are going astray.

In your particular case, I'd be concerned that you've configured iSCSI on top of RAIDZ and made the devices very large, which might not be a good thing, depending on the specifics here.

Initiators

1564935888072.png

No settings were made in Authorized access

And here are the settings for Targets

1564935962636.png

As an Update, I have tried to make sure that there was not an issue with the servers hardware. Turning off any RAID setup's in the BIOS.