Is this normal idle behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcguire525

Explorer
I have a few jails running on an ssd but none of the are writing to the storage volume atm, is it normal to have these constant short burst of small writes? Its a 6x8tb RaidZ2, all WD Red drives and each disk shows the same behavior...

VDOAoIP.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have so many questions. What environment is that? What kind of moron decided that negative bandwidth was a thing? How do I report such a person so that they are sent to a camp where they can learn proper physical quantities in an intensive course?

With that out of the way, the absolute value of those figures is consistent with the system dataset being written to, which is normal.

jmcguire525

Explorer
I have so many questions. What environment is that? What kind of moron decided that negative bandwidth was a thing? How do I report such a person so that they are sent to a camp where they can learn proper physical quantities in an intensive course?

With that out of the way, the absolute value of those figures is consistent with the system dataset being written to, which is normal.

It's netdata, seemed a little odd to me as well but I guess it's easier to read that having read/write overlapping.

If I moved the .system dataset to another drive would 16gb be enough if that was the only thing on it along with the logs and reporting?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The system dataset has to stay on reliable storage. If it goes down, the system crashes. And the constant writes are not suitable at all for USB flash drives. So, that leaves you needing two decent SSDs for basically no gain.

jmcguire525

Explorer
The system dataset has to stay on reliable storage. If it goes down, the system crashes. And the constant writes are not suitable at all for USB flash drives. So, that leaves you needing two decent SSDs for basically no gain.

I actually was thinking of a 16gb optane m.2 for .system, logs, and reporting... just didn't know how much space it takes up

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But why? You don't gain anything besides a noticeably lighter wallet.

jmcguire525

Explorer
wouldn't that take some of the wear and tear off the main storage pool that is currently getting getting small writes a few times a min 24/7?

Nick2253

Wizard
That data doesn't really add any wear and tear to the main storage pool. Reading/writing data from a HDD doesn't appreciably add any kind of wear/tear to the drive. However, if you are configuring your main pool to spin down, which is not recommended, then this would add wear and tear: again, not because of writing the data, but because your pool would now be starting and stopping regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.