Is this an issue ? usbhid.ko: depends on hidbus /usbhid.ko - unsupported file type

spacecabbie

Explorer
KLD usbhid.ko: depends on hidbus - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/usbhid.ko - unsupported file type

Is it the reason my Cisco serial to usb cable is not working on Truenas Beta 13?

Yukimimi

Cadet
I'm using TrueNAS 13.0-U1.
I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to connect APC UPS BE550m1.
dmesg said:
Code:
ugen0.5: <American Power Conversion APC ES 550M1 FW:933.a5 .A USB FW:a5> at usbus0
KLD usbhid.ko: depends on hidbus - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/usbhid.ko - unsupported file type

Actually, there is no hidbus.ko under /boot/kernel/.
Code:
# ls /boot/kernel/hidbus.ko
ls: /boot/kernel/hidbus.ko: No such file or directory

Thanks.

Yukimimi

Cadet
solved.

here is a very dirty workaround.
1. copy hidbus.ko from FreeBSD13.0-RELEASE box to your trueNAS.
2. kldload it as PREINT script.

it's seem work fine for me.
I hope TrueNAS13.0-U2 contains hidbus.ko

Thanks.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Please open a ticket. It should be trivial to add hidbus and other related modules to the build, but I don't remember HID to ever be related to serial. In @Yukimimi it looks like a USB UPS, which are indeed often HID, not serial.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
@Yukimimi Did it fix just the cosmetic issue, or it caused some real problem? Last time I remember I looked into NUT UPS monitoring tool, it was talking to USB stack directly, not needing special drivers. Though I may be wrong, it was a wile ago.

Philip Robar

Contributor
I've long ago given up on TrueNAS ever working properly with a UPS. Between all the problems that NUT seems to have and iXsystems regualrly screwing up USB stuff in the name of saving a few bits of kernel memory I don't see this ever working.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
The hid drivers requested in this thread are included into upcoming 13.0-U2 release, already frozen for the test cycle and expected to be out in few weeks.

There only so much we can do for NUT. It is ungrateful work handle endless list of different and usually undocumented UPS models. And to be fair, ZFS with its transactional model does not need clean shutdown that much. Few additional minutes of server run time beyond last client should be enough to commit all dirty data any way.

Philip Robar

Contributor
I just wish that there was a list of UPS that are known to work.

jlpellet

Patron
I've yet to have an issue with APC residential units & generally good luck with CyberPower. I'd look for FreeBSD version support & NUT driver list for possible units or mfg linux/freebsd/nut support. Good luck.
John